• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Another one for books, good day at the field and the weather was perfect. Almost ran out of fuel. My DA 150 is just getting better and better and all the black stuff it was spitting out is almost gone just could not get better. Just have to clean the plane and storage charge the batteries and we are done.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Made it to the field around 11:30, sorties to begin soon. A little pre-flight briefing first.

20180929_114725.jpg
20180929_114717.jpg
20180929_114732.jpg

Flight report to be logged soon... stay tuned, dont touch that channel.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
First maiden flight went as I pretty much expected. All over the freaking sky. Climbing rocket fast to the moon and rolling hard left. Ugh! Take off was actually pretty clean, once air borne though it was a whole different story. Uh..no... wait...ah trim, trim, trim...down trim, more down trim, uh..no...****... uh..whoa, dang it, not good.. more down, a little more right trim. Uh oh, she's on her side, no wait no her other side. Holy crap!! Easy does it Rob. Gently...gently. Ah! That's better...ok, there we go. We got it. Whew. No time for knock knees. Too busy sweating and drops falling into my eyes out from under my brand new Mustang ball cap. Lol. So I've come to the conclusion I've been flying highly aerobatic planes way too long. Control surfaces of the little Blue Nose are way too much. Lol. But not out of my skill level thankfully. I did a little flying around and decided to set her up for an approach. A little hot and so a go around was the call. Slight side runway wind so this is going to take some concentration and finesse. On final, the gear come down and she is coming in Mach 9. I pulled back on the power and she sank like a rock. Um, ever hear of flaps? Lol. No worries. 500 feet of runway and she is down. Whew. Talk about exciting.

The second flight was much more relaxed. Now that shes trimmed and I took some control out of her. Yikes. I got her down to about ten feet over the runway and did some scraffing runs. Ya know fellas? She might be small, but she sure looks good coming at you full speed and then banking away at a high rate of speed. Landing was much better. Still need a little less control.

So I didn't think anything could get the ole ticker pumping like the first flight. Uh, not so fast there. Third flight take off sucked. To put it lightly. A little too slow on the lift off and she was so close to stalled it wasn't funny. That little RCGF 20 powered her up though. Made me look like an ace when I had her actually flying. I did a high speed burn over the runway and put her in a climb to the moon. Pulled her over the top and back out to the east. Uh oh. What's this? Motor losing power! Crap... I have a little altitude but I may be out too far out. I remember the first flight. When the power was pulled back, she sank! Fast! Typical Mustang. Well I eased on the controls...tried pumping the throttle. The engine was not quite dead. But it might as well have been. Just barely turning over. I intentionally left the gear up so that I didn't bleed off too much air speed too fast. So the closer she got to the threshold I could see we had a little time. I had one chance. That was it. Fortunately she was packing some really good speed. Lower...lower...lo... what the heck? Where is my gear? Duh...switch dummy. You better make it quick. You're out of time. I hit the switch when she blew by me at about 40 and about 8 feet off the deck. I know it takes a few seconds for the gear to come down. As I have them set up to cycle like the full scale. Uh oh...we're not gonna make it. 6 feet, 5, 4 feet...3,2...at about a foot or less I could see the gear fully down. I just hoped they were locked because shes on the racing surface baby.

Yup, locked! Whew. At that moment the engine was completely dead. Hauling the mail at break neck speed she coasted to a stop all the way at the west end of the runway. Wow... I've had some decent saves and emergency landings. That was an RC career best.

So why did the motor die? Stupid me forgot to lock the choke open. I'm not using a choke rod as I am using a starter. Bet I fix that when I get home.

It's been so long since I felt this exhilarating and adrenaline pumping feeling. I just can't wait to get the H-9 Marie Mustang up. And that Behemoth Stang.... oh yeah Truly once again, Stangflyer I am!

All in all, a grrrrreeeat day of terrorising the enemy skies. Lol

Proof she lives to fight another day.

20180929_123525.jpg
20180929_123508.jpg

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That little plane scared the crap out of him. But you know he has not felt this alive for a long time. It is something about small war birds that just do that to you. All I can say when reading your post I was smiling and grinning all the way through it remembering days of a while back. Thanks for that.