• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting DA-150

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Everyone has their own technique and some engines are finicky. mine is throttle full, ignition off, choke closed. 5-10 flips or if I see fuel drip from the carb. Throttle idle, ignition on and it fires up right away. I do have one engine that is a pain to start after sitting for time. I think the diaphragm is getting old and until its really wet it won't help pull fuel.

I've never been a fan of starting an engine with choke on, but I know plenty who do and it works.

Thanks Sweetpea !! I'm not sure how long this eng. may have set before I got it last fall sometime. I'm only used to the 20 to 55cc engines so these twins are new to me !! Nobody but me in two of the clubs I'm in has any twins yet.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Thanks Sweetpea !! I'm not sure how long this eng. may have set before I got it last fall sometime. I'm only used to the 20 to 55cc engines so these twins are new to me !! Nobody but me in two of the clubs I'm in has any twins yet.
Pretty much the same starting procedure as your 20-55cc engines. The only real difference is two cylinders and way bigger prop.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Pretty much the same starting procedure as your 20-55cc engines. The only real difference is two cylinders and way bigger prop.

Thanks Robotech !! I hope to see if this new carb works later today !!
Thanks again !!
John !

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I can't tell you how many times I've started my DA150 on just 2 flips. I'd be able to buy another if there was a bet involved for each. Anyway, here's my technique;
  1. Choke ON (closed), throttle at IDLE, ignition ON. I leave the ignition ON as it won't fire until flipped through a compression stroke
  2. Grab spinner and rotate quickly back and forth (between a compression stroke) about 6 or 7 "bumps". That gets fuel pumped to the carb,
  3. Ignition ON, 1st flip it will fire and die (because the choke is on)
  4. Choke OFF, throttle at IDLE....do the quick rotation back and forth 6 or 7 "bumps".
  5. Set prop at compression stroke and flip (2nd flip)....it will start and idle
If the engine is already warm....skip steps 1-3....it will almost always start on the 1st flip. :cheers:

sweetpea

100cc
If its a 3W engine (which I know this isn't)....they have a failsafe built in. It won't start on the first flip. The first flip with the ignition on arms the ignition module. The next flip can potentially start the engine.

Like most have said........no different than a 20-55cc engine. Prop is larger is all. I tend to find the 100+cc engines easier to start and get your hand away. But they all start the same.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
I can't tell you how many times I've started my DA150 on just 2 flips. I'd be able to buy another if there was a bet involved for each. Anyway, here's my technique;
  1. Choke ON (closed), throttle at IDLE, ignition ON. I leave the ignition ON as it won't fire until flipped through a compression stroke
  2. Grab spinner and rotate quickly back and forth (between a compression stroke) about 6 or 7 "bumps". That gets fuel pumped to the carb,
  3. Ignition ON, 1st flip it will fire and die (because the choke is on)
  4. Choke OFF, throttle at IDLE....do the quick rotation back and forth 6 or 7 "bumps".
  5. Set prop at compression stroke and flip (2nd flip)....it will start and idle
If the engine is already warm....skip steps 1-3....it will almost always start on the 1st flip. :cheers:

Hi Earle !! Thanks for that info, I hope mine gets to that point like yours !! I have used that bumping method before but never had to on my planes !! I wasn't sure that really worked. I only have a 50 & a 55 & their both around 7 years old now & they start very fast like yours , even after setting all winter in my basement !!
Thanks again , John !!

js-rc

70cc twin V2
If its a 3W engine (which I know this isn't)....they have a failsafe built in. It won't start on the first flip. The first flip with the ignition on arms the ignition module. The next flip can potentially start the engine.

Like most have said........no different than a 20-55cc engine. Prop is larger is all. I tend to find the 100+cc engines easier to start and get your hand away. But they all start the same.

That's nice to know too, sweetpea !! I know the DAs have to reach a certain RPM before they will start too. I remember years ago, the guys then were trying to decide weather to get a DA or a 3W, ha !! Bunky even said my plane, the 3w Patty, was not right to put a DA on it !! Maybe that's why I'm having all this trouble !! ( just kidding !!)
Thanks again !!
John !

Joe Hunt

150cc

Helped a buddy start an old DA 150 that had been sitting for a few years. Turns out the reeds were stuck, just soaked them in gas for a couple of minutes, and she fired right up. :)