• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting DA-150

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Well, I was 2 days last week trying to start this eng. Seems gas was not getting into the cylinders so I rebuilt the carb & still no go. So I ordered a new carb & plan to try again this week. Now what I really need to know is, do you start these like the 50cc engines, with choke fully closed & throttle wide open till it pops then throttle back & take choke off ? I have pretty good spark & put a new sensor on it too. My arm still hurts from all that flipping, ha !!
Thanks, John !

Forgot to mention it is a used older Da-150

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
If I may suggest. Before you do anything. Take the plugs out and turn the ignition off. Connect the tank to the carb but the fuel line empty. Turn the prop with the plugs out easy to turn as you turn the engine you see the fuel coming up the fuel line to the carb. If it does then it tells us that one side of the carb is working. Next install the plugs and no ignition connect flip it a couple times chock closed. Check the plugs they must be wet. If not the carb needs work. If it leaking out the carb look at the reeds. That should give a starting point hope it helps.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Thanks Snoopy1 !! I will do that . With the old carb, gas was dripping out of it with the choke on & nothing going to the plugs, as they were dry. Then, when I put the new carb kit in, nothing was coming out the carb like before with the choke on, so that's when I ordered the new carb. I hope it's warm enough here to try it again tomorrow !!'
Thanks again, John !!

Judge

70cc twin V2
Now what I really need to know is, do you start these like the 50cc engines, with choke fully closed & throttle wide open till it pops then throttle back & take choke off ?

I have never started a gas engine of any size like that, including the DLA58 I fly now. Low throttle, Close choke, turn it over until it is wet, ignition on, flips til it pops, then choke off and start at idle.

My da 150is an older one I use ignition off choke on full throttle spin it over 5 turns fast idle 5 turns choke off 5 turns ignition on flip and fly sometimes it takes 2 flips after ignition on

js-rc

70cc twin V2
I have never started a gas engine of any size like that, including the DLA58 I fly now. Low throttle, Close choke, turn it over until it is wet, ignition on, flips til it pops, then choke off and start at idle.

Thanks Judge !! I guess that's just an old habit I got from years ago. The guys that helped me back then all started them that way & that was with mostly FirstPlace engines we all had cause we were close to Kirt that built them.
Thanks again, John !

js-rc

70cc twin V2
My da 150is an older one I use ignition off choke on full throttle spin it over 5 turns fast idle 5 turns choke off 5 turns ignition on flip and fly sometimes it takes 2 flips after ignition on

Thanks rplante ! That sounds good too !! Oh, I set the needles to what the DA Teck said, low 5/8 turn & high to 2 turns. I hope this works or I may have to try to order new reeds for it. My goal is to have it running good by the middle of April !!
Thanks again, John !

sweetpea

100cc
Everyone has their own technique and some engines are finicky. mine is throttle full, ignition off, choke closed. 5-10 flips or if I see fuel drip from the carb. Throttle idle, ignition on and it fires up right away. I do have one engine that is a pain to start after sitting for time. I think the diaphragm is getting old and until its really wet it won't help pull fuel.

I've never been a fan of starting an engine with choke on, but I know plenty who do and it works.