• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rotoflow tanks...bunky or bullet proof?

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Here is yet another valuable thread, here on GSN. I was thinking about trying one of these in my Laser. A couple of Guys at the field where I fly swear by the Roto-Flo tanks. This is the first time I've ever heard or read any negative comments about them. I think I'm going to take the great advice posted above by @49dimes and go with what I know.:yesss:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Here is yet another valuable thread, here on GSN. I was thinking about trying one of these in my Laser. A couple of Guys at the field where I fly swear by the Roto-Flo tanks. This is the first time I've ever heard or read any negative comments about them. I think I'm going to take the great advice posted above by @49dimes and go with what I know.:yesss:

To be fair @pawnshopmike called it first. But of course :big_yes:.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
hey, if they're flying them and having a good experience then that matters too. how old are their tanks? do they fly much?

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey @Bartman, One of the guy's does a good mix of aerobatic and 3D flying. Nothing hard core, but some crazy flying just the same. That and he's there about every time I am flying everything he brings.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I really like the concept that these tanks brought to the table. Christophe P. (World class flyer) did a lot of video study of how a typical RC fuel tank performs with the fuel getting sloshed around in all types of attitudes and G maneuver's . The concept of the roto flow design addressed the issues he was able to capture on video. But I have seen and heard hard evidence of the issues that plague these tanks. First was the stopper assembly itself. It Leaked! and leaked bad right out of the box. Second was the stopper again! Did not leak right away but after a few gallons the rubber would dissolve leaving leaks! Third is that the o rings fail on the unique sliding pick up and either causes a restriction of fuel or hangs the pick up so it no longer slides or rotates easily.
I bet if they would go with an ALL PLASTIC design for a lighter weight of the pick up assembly it would be a wonderful contribution to the RC market.

Wacobipe

100cc
I really like the concept that these tanks brought to the table. Christophe P. (World class flyer) did a lot of video study of how a typical RC fuel tank performs with the fuel getting sloshed around in all types of attitudes and G maneuver's . The concept of the roto flow design addressed the issues he was able to capture on video. But I have seen and heard hard evidence of the issues that plague these tanks. First was the stopper assembly itself. It Leaked! and leaked bad right out of the box. Second was the stopper again! Did not leak right away but after a few gallons the rubber would dissolve leaving leaks! Third is that the o rings fail on the unique sliding pick up and either causes a restriction of fuel or hangs the pick up so it no longer slides or rotates easily.
I bet if they would go with an ALL PLASTIC design for a lighter weight of the pick up assembly it would be a wonderful contribution to the RC market.
Having dissected one after it failed (after 2 years of flying reasonably often)... I've come to the conclusion that this design does nothing that a si lle clunk setup doesn't do...it just uses a lot of individual prices with multiple failure points. It was an intriguing idea...but I think it was a solution in search of a problem.

I'd be curious if you see it otherwise.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Having dissected one after it failed (after 2 years of flying reasonably often)... I've come to the conclusion that this design does nothing that a si lle clunk setup doesn't do...it just uses a lot of individual prices with multiple failure points. It was an intriguing idea...but I think it was a solution in search of a problem.

I'd be curious if you see it otherwise.

I really don't. And agree with you with the exception of materials used. Hard polycarbonate center tube and urethane molded pick up assemblies in place of the brass. Hermetic design with the exception of the fuel line connection and vent line connection. I think it would make this tank work reliably. This is one area where a machine shop wont be able to make the right kind of materials work. It would take a plastics die manufacturer and injection molding process to make the whole tank. Kinda like a ship in a bottle. It would be rather expensive though and the tanks would probably cost over 100$. I'm curious to see if these companies would do some R and D. But I know first hand that high tech plastic manufacturing is expensive.