• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Prop failure....... Have you had one??

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
LOL It did didn't it!!! Sort of a bang followed by the BRRRRRRRRT! If it wouldn't have had foam core wings there would have been a lot more noise (and trash bags) involved.

Bemeson

50cc
Terry,
I had one do the very same thing. When I landed the plane the cowl, and front third of the plane was pretty messed up I assume from vibration. Part of the prop hub was still on the plane and it appeared to be as the prop bolts had loosened, but its hard to tell as so little of the prop was still attached. We found the prop but it was it many small chunks. Mine was a Xoar 23X8 laminated. What type of prop was it.

Brian

LOL It did didn't it!!! Sort of a bang followed by the BRRRRRRRRT! If it wouldn't have had foam core wings there would have been a lot more noise (and trash bags) involved.

Haha, sadly for the plane that A-10 cannon is a surprisingly close approximation. The plane basically turned into a speaker turned up about 10x past the failure point. I think it would have killed just about anything.

Wings looked rock solid though:D

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I never seen a big one let go, but I've seen it on a quikie 500 back in the day, that was ugly. And another on an OS120. That airplane was repairable but just barely.

The only bigger ones Ive seen had help. One lost a spinner first and the other was one of the A$$hat FOGs at the field that bounced one so bad on take off it hit the prop took off a chunk and he never got off of full throttle. That one was spectacular! It shed pieces until the whole motor box came out and it all hit the ground. You never have a camera going when you need one.

Dan767

70cc twin V2
Years ago I had a Hangar 9 Sukhoi with a 3W-106 and a 28X10 prop. Took off and about 50ft. in the air it exploded. Shook the engine off the firewall, engine was laying in the bottom of the cowl.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I was not going to post pics, just a discussion so please remember one thing no brand or company blasting!! Also please don't blast me for my setup, I experiment with crazy stuff all the time, just part of the hobby for me so $#!t can happen and I accept the responsibility on that. This thread is purely for educational purposes.

So yes the air-frame had a DLE85 on it. NO it did not shake excessively and actually it was an amazing combination when paired with foam core wings. The vibe mount and foam core wings did an super job of soaking up the normal engine vibes and the plane flew extremely well. I let @cardenflyer have a swing at it and he agreed it was pretty cool.
- spinner balanced with back plate.
- prop balanced on hub and blades and double checked
- Engine vibes normal for a single.

The part that always bothered me with wood props is the amount of crush you get just trying to tighten the bolts. I saw @SupaTim just posted in another thread about the qualities of laminated props. I didn't even think of one of those as I was planning to buy a carbon after testing if the plane / setup was even worth it. Either way, some pics for your entertainment:
image012.jpg

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 279
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 307
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 273
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 285
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 298
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 295
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 263
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 276
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 298
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 373
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 390
  • image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 348
  • image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 289
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 311

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Years ago I had a Hangar 9 Sukhoi with a 3W-106 and a 28X10 prop. Took off and about 50ft. in the air it exploded. Shook the engine off the firewall, engine was laying in the bottom of the cowl.

Exactly, mine was a little more violent since I was doing a pretty high speed slow roll. The firewall did not give out until I was just about ready to touch down. The engine started gaining RPM quickly so I hit the kill switch. That's when I saw I only had half a prop more or less.