• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Primo .15 size 3D Profile Build Thread

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I'm sure if the instructions were not screwed up I'd be done by now. But I am not talking about "these" planes, I am talking about the Primo 15.

Why should I have to hunt down build threads on RC forums to be able to build the Primo 15 correctly? I don't think it is too much to ask to have a complete or correct set of instructions when I buy a plane so I can build it correctly. Why sell it if the instructions are not correct? Shame on the beta builders for not identifying this issue and making sure the instructions were not good to go before they start selling this kit.

It is a poor excuse to send someone to find a build thread on some RC forum in lieu of proper build instructions. And now that I have let the owner know there is a problem, how long does it take to correct the online PDF that there is a problem? Especially one that is this critical and can ruin a build as early on like step #3?

Am I frustrated by all of this? Heck yea. This is my first Swanyhouse kit and so far I am not very impressed at all. I heard such good things about these planes, but right now I cannot say anything more about them than I know right now. It's a shame because I love to support companies that design and build planes here in the USA.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
That's too bad. I was interested in this kit, since I've never built anything from sticks before and it seemed reasonably simple. I guess you've provided enough evidence against the "simple" part...

Until the instructions are correct, I'd avoid this kit. I searched for build threads on other RC forums and have not found a good one for the Primo 15 that identified this issue. But I guess since you have read this thread, you know what to avoid now so you won't have the same problem I had for this issue on step #3. Moving past that step and comparing it to another plane from Swanyhouse, there are lots of errors in the instructions. Yup, hold off for now.

I would not recommend this kit as a first time build regardless of the instructions. There are so many other good choices to learn on. I think this may be a little too much at first for the first time kit builder IMHO.

Before I bought this kit, someone mentioned this plane here to me: http://www.valuehobby.com/sabre-35es-profile-3d-plane-arf-almost-ready-to-fly.html I'm almost sorry right now that I didn't go that route. But I'll get through this build and hopefully be flying soon.

Frank

Frank,
That sucks that you're turned off to the Primo because of the misprint. I'm sure once you fly it, that bad taste in your mouth will go away. My first build was a Swanyshouse Mojo 40 kit. I've since built another 4 of his kits and think they're great, but my Dad built a primo 15 and screwed his up to because of the instructions like yours. Frustrating for sure, but they do fly nice and since you built it, you know it and can repair it easily. Here's a pic of my two primos, the 40 I covered in a Miller ("primo") Lite scheme. The 60 size I based on Gary Ward's MX full scale plane.

Couple vids too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwmQ9yiTy3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3O5hfKuFrk

Mike

Attachments

• primos.jpg
    primos.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 401

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I sure hope so Mike. I see the instructions are not fixed yet either.

http://www.swanyshouse.com/primo15/Primo 15 build instructions.pdf

It's been over a month now. I guess two people screwing up their kits is not enough to change the instructions yet it seems. :( And it is not like I didn't call Paul and tell him about the errors in the instructions so he definitely knows about the mistakes.

Nice looking birds you have there. Can't say I have seen too many covering jobs nicer than that.

I have some time over the holidays to press on with the build and we'll see how it goes when I get to the part about mating the fuselage to the wing. I'm concerned that it will not be true, but only time will tell.

Thanks for posting your pics.

Frank

CHQ28

50cc
Well, I got this kit for Christmas and looking forward to putting this together while it snows outside. It looks like there are a few people on here for this plane. Question, have any of you used the Scorpion 2215-18 on this? I have one sitting around and was thinking trying it out it.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I have not used the Scorpion, but the plans calls for a 200 watt motor IIRC.

CAUTION: Do NOT follow the instructions that came with the kit. Specifically, DO NOT glue the motor mount or rod to the fuselage. Matter of fact, start with the wing first and do the fuselage last. By then you will figure out what needs to go where.

One more thing, if you are using the recommended HS-65 servos, the basswood mounts (in the wing) are incorrectly spaced for those servos. You will have to mod their mounting locations.

There were other problems, but those are the big ones off the top of my head right now.

Frank
who wishes someone warned me about those items before I started my build

CHQ28

50cc
I have not used the Scorpion, but the plans calls for a 200 watt motor IIRC.

CAUTION: Do NOT follow the instructions that came with the kit. Specifically, DO NOT glue the motor mount or rod to the fuselage. Matter of fact, start with the wing first and do the fuselage last. By then you will figure out what needs to go where.

One more thing, if you are using the recommended HS-65 servos, the basswood mounts (in the wing) are incorrectly spaced for those servos. You will have to mod their mounting locations.

There were other problems, but those are the big ones off the top of my head right now.

Frank
who wishes someone warned me about those items before I started my build

Thanks for the heads up on those issues, I will push ahead with caution. The Scorpion is a 200 watt motor so I will give it a try and see how it works.

Did you get things all fixed on yours?

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
No, not yet. I just discovered the servo not fitting issue and since I need to build something for the servos to fit into, I have not mounted the wing to the fuselage. Once the wing is on, I can attempt the re-bond the motor mount to the fuselage. I am hoping I can get it on straight and true. This is one time I'd really want to glue is all together and then apply the covering, but that would make it harder to get the covering right.

I'm not sure of the design I am going with yet except it is going to be red and white.

I'm sure that motor will do just fine. Scorpion is a good brand. But I have heard some amazing things about the super tigre .10 http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=13290 or here http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXXGY4

I was going to use a different motor, but may go this route myself.

Frank

PS I should also mention the pushrods going to the empennage need to be supported somehow due to the length. I have not gotten that far yet, but just so you know about it beforehand