• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Primo .15 size 3D Profile Build Thread

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I'm guessing mid December most likely. It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to build this plane. http://www.theolddog.net/Photos.html And that will include photos and the build thread. I may also do a video of the build process but haven't decided yet on that. Videos are a lot of work.

Frank

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've seem some profile 3d planes at the local field here, I hadn't seen them before previously... neat planes, I would be interested to get a pull on one of them one day.

SnowDog

I've seem some profile 3d planes at the local field here, I hadn't seen them before previously... neat planes, I would be interested to get a pull on one of them one day.

James T. Graham is a founding member of the The Profile Brotherhood, which also has a web site. :) ;)

Of course, we should start our own threads here since profile planes are quite often used for 3D flying.

I'm going to build two profile planes this winter...one a .40 size (on which I will put a glow engine, yes, thats right!) Wild Fred Laminar Yak and the other a 30cc Extra (EEV2) on which I will put my DLE-30. You can fly it at the Midwest FLI next year if you can make it there! :)

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I found out too late in the build that the directions for this plane are not complete!!! I called Paul and he said instead of following the directions that came with this plane I should look at the instructions for the Primo 40. That's nice to know now.
frown.gif

To fix the problem, I had to cut off what the instructions said to CA on which is the motor mount around the rod and along the motor mount C/T to the fuselage. Needless to say I was pretty upset that an important step of the instructions were left out. Like the one that was supposed to say "Dry fit only. Do not glue" Another
frown.gif

I'll fix the mistake and hopefully it won't be too badly out of alignment, but I heard so many great things about this company I am surprised the instructions are so poor at this stage of the prodcution. And since it was their mistake I was also surprised I was not offered replacement parts. That would have gone a
long way in my faith for this company.

I bet if Stevens Aero, Zeke's or Mountain Models made a mistake like this, they would have replaced the parts that were effected.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I found out too late in the build that the directions for this plane are not complete!!! I called Paul and he said instead of following the directions that came with this plane I should look at the instructions for the Primo 40. That's nice to know now.
frown.gif

To fix the problem, I had to cut off what the instructions said to CA on which is the motor mount around the rod and along the motor mount C/T to the fuselage. Needless to say I was pretty upset that an important step of the instructions were left out. Like the one that was supposed to say "Dry fit only. Do not glue" Another
frown.gif

I'll fix the mistake and hopefully it won't be too badly out of alignment, but I heard so many great things about this company I am surprised the instructions are so poor at this stage of the prodcution. And since it was their mistake I was also surprised I was not offered replacement parts. That would have gone a
long way in my faith for this company.

I bet if Stevens Aero, Zeke's or Mountain Models made a mistake like this, they would have replaced the parts that were effected.

Frank

Frank, I can only imagine your frustrations right now.... I hope you're able to get it sorted out and repiared with no sacrifices to appearance or performance.

-G

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Thanks Gary. Hopefully I can work through this and have a decent plane to fly.

I have since found out that this is a "known issue" and I should have been reading another forum to learn that. Seems to me if this was a known issue, the instructions should have been corrected a long time ago.

Shoot, even a hand written note on the plans would have been good enough for me.

It is frustrating to say the least.

Frank

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks Gary. Hopefully I can work through this and have a decent plane to fly.

I have since found out that this is a "known issue" and I should have been reading another forum to learn that. Seems to me if this was a known issue, the instructions should have been corrected a long time ago.

Shoot, even a hand written note on the plans would have been good enough for me.

It is frustrating to say the least.

Frank

Yeah, a short note would have done the trick. It's frustrating when manufacturers allow for critical information to lie in a volitile envorinment like a simple post in a forum, and expect you to find it on your own.
This is a big reason why we started our Wiki here. Our goal is for each airplane to have it's own Wiki page, where users can ad setup tips and advice in additionthe manufacturer's recommendation. The best part is, the first page is always the first page, and it won't ever be deleted or closed because someone gets mad or moves on.

-G

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Sorry for being delinquent on this build thread. Once I realized I had to butcher my fuselage it kinda defeated the purpose of the thread since I was going to follow the instructions and post pics along the way. It really took the wind out of my sails so to speak.

Frank

njswede

150cc
That's too bad. I was interested in this kit, since I've never built anything from sticks before and it seemed reasonably simple. I guess you've provided enough evidence against the "simple" part...

teookie

70cc twin V2
It's actually very easy to build. There are several build threads for this plane on RCgroups if you do a search, and even more on theprofilebrotherhood.com if you care to take a look.

I'd wager that the vast majority of people who build these planes do so w/o any major problems.

Maybe if I build another one (my current one is starting to show it's age) I can make a build thread here on 3drcf.