• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion powerlab 6 & 8

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Hey AV8TOR, I wanted to get back to you with a few photos of my setup. From the posts above it looks like you've been shown that adaptor, but with the cords you have you will need that balance board listed above and shown in my review of the solidhobby.com power supply. Below are a bunch of photos I took just to try to add some clarity. Hope they help you or anyone else with questions:

DSC_0082.jpgDSC_0084.jpgDSC_0085.jpgDSC_0087.jpgDSC_0083.jpgDSC_0090.jpg

Please note that I soldiered 4mm female bullets on the standard FMA leads because I thought the 40amp fuses on the discharge leads was a nice touch by PL. I also wanted add some length and diversify my main leads for any other type of charge connection for transmitters, receiver batteries, and potentially lead acid type connectivity, of course as you can see from the last photo, anything with a 4mm bullet will plug in to the PL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Thanks guys for the help , support and pictures. I am not sure when I am going to make the switch yet because I will be traveling like crazy from now to early March but I now I feel more informed. Sorry for the late reply as our complete Uverse service has been down . Just back up now.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
So I just got back from my week at the PGA Show and was giving this some thought. I understand the cable need if I used a ParaBoard but as I mentioned I have lots of these Parallel cables that I simply find easier than my ParaBoards. So is this setup I diagramed out the right way to accomplish this? Also I read that there is a software toggle for using non FMA standard connections so do both this and the PB adapter cable require changing this software setting.

I am also curious how many of you actually use the computer software? I like tracking IR and mAh put back into my packs but I really don't see myself doing the graphs.

I am not ruling out the MPA board either.

Attachments

• Region capture 6.jpg
    Region capture 6.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited by a moderator:

econpatric

70cc twin V2
So I just got back from my week at the PGA Show and was giving this some thought. I understand the cable need if I used a ParaBoard but as I mentioned I have lots of these Parallel cables that I simply find easier than my ParaBoards. So is this setup I diagramed out the right way to accomplish this? Also I read that there is a software toggle for using non FMA standard connections so do both this and the PB adapter cable require changing this software setting.

I am also curious how many of you actually use the computer software? I like tracking IR and mAh put back into my packs but I really don't see myself doing the graphs.

I am not ruling out the MPA board either.

Yours setup is exactly as needed. You won't have to toggle between FMA and XH mode if you are using the FMA board as the FMA board is already wired for the conversion needed.

I use the software and it is awesome! I did't think I'd use them either, but the graphs are pretty handy too.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
So I have not given up on getting the PL6 just lacking some funds. I have been home sick the last 4 days with the flu and slight pneumonia so I decided to download the CCS and have been playing around with it and it will be nice to make the custom presets. I still don't know about using the computer to drive the charger though. Are you guys using the software and did you make any custom presets?

hone

150cc
So I have not given up on getting the PL6 just lacking some funds. I have been home sick the last 4 days with the flu and slight pneumonia so I decided to download the CCS and have been playing around with it and it will be nice to make the custom presets. I still don't know about using the computer to drive the charger though. Are you guys using the software and did you make any custom presets?

I just use the stock settings on the charger. Never hooked it up to the computer. I should get fancy since i paid all that money :p

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Well I am happy to report that I am officially an owner of a PL8 and can't wait for it to arrive. My power supplies are finished minus the soldering of the 4mm bullets for power which I ordered with the charger. Thanks to all who all who helped out along the way.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
For those PowerLabs owners that are on the edge whether or not to get the USB adapter I have been using mine now and let me tell you it is worth it even if you don't want to graph. It is worth the money just to change up your settings, the order and making custom presets. I have 1-5 programed now for my individual packs so no setting to change just start the charge. I also did not like the order of the information displayed during a charge when you hit the INC or DEC buttons. Now I have them in the order of my importance. So much nicer.

I also made a long extension that I can add battery clips to when I am at the field so the charger is on the ground not in my car. The battery clips change out by banana plugs so I can switch to an EC5 adapter so I can now hook up my PL8 easier to my computer.

Just bought a PL6, and so far I am very impressed. I have a cheap little netbook that is dedicated to hobby uses (programming servos and ESCs, etc), so now it lives by the charger for management, graphing, etc. Very cool.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Hard to not like this charger. After you get more familiar with it take advantage of making custom presets to taylor exactly to your charging. You can change the preset name to your battery as well for easy identification. Since doing that I have not been using my computer attached because I have my setup a portable one.