• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion powerlab 6 & 8

econpatric

70cc twin V2
So a question I have about either the PowerLab 6 or 8 is if you are already using a iCharger and have a gaggle of cables will they still work on the 6 or 8? The was I am thinking is they just have a 6 or 8 balance tap output and I don't know what version plug that is but they do give your (or you can buy) the adapter to use the JST in 2-8S taps so I am thinking I could just plug my parallel cables to this. Is that right?

It kind of depends on your "gaggle." I noticed that the main leads on the PowerLab do have a different kind of connection into the unit, however 4mm 'banana' do work and fit into the PL itself, for me they fit a little looser than desired (not to the point of falling out, but I like a good snug fit on these).

The balance port is a different type of plug altogether, but than can be adapted to any variation including the most common brands. If using the FMA balance boards, you can simply buy a XH type board (providing thats what your iCharger uses) and run all of the same components.

**Please note: I believe that the balance port is an 8-pin unit with the 8th pin always being the positive even on, lets say, a 3s battery. So the output is a bit different that the standard XH type found on many other chargers. The FMA boards make this adaptation for you.

As mentioned earlier, there are also adaptors available that plug in with the FMA lead to the PLab unit and XH on the Paraboard end (this is what I have... Came with my 'package' from EPBuddy.com). To use these you need to go into the programming and switch from FMA wiring to XH wiring. Really, this would be the only cord you would need to buy to convert, again depending on your 'gaggle.'

Its a lot simpler than it sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
So if I use something like this this wil be all I need to run with the parallel balance cables I already have? I am concerned about this statement though "This adapter supports one battery pack at a time". The banana power connections should not be an issue then. I will call Dale to double check.

Might just stay with the iCharger line, less cost anyway plus the fact that we have Mac computers at the house. Anyone run the software to the charge through Parallels or Bootcamp?

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Yes. I am running the FMA software on Bootcamp and it works flawlessly.

I don't think that your link worked, so I am not sure what you were referring to here, but I think that the FMA balance boards state that? It is on there, in my understanding, because they don't want people plugging into the other ports on the balance board expecting to parallel charge. I think you would still be ok to run a parallel board off of the 6s port of that balance adaptor.

I am no expert so a call to Dale might be in order on this one...

P.S. If you find that interchangeability isn't too involved, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the PL. I feel with the software and the features it is a very worthwhile product! I have been really impressed. Also, if you're in need of a power supply, Solidhobby.com is discounting their power supply units with the purchase of a PowerLab and IMHO Jeremy's customer service is the best in the industry.

hone

150cc
Ohio, the only thing you need to use your current setup is this cable Photo on 2013-01-18 at 08.49.jpg

PM me your address and i can send you an extra one i have. The side that plugs into the PL6 is different than the side that plugs into the paraboard.

hone

150cc
Photo on 2013-01-18 at 08.54.jpg

This pic shows what i mean. The side with the little clip in the middle fits the PL6 and the other fits the standard paraboard. When you buy a paraboard from someone like progressiveRC they ask what charger you use and send this adapter for the PL6/8

Photo on 2013-01-18 at 09.00.jpg

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Ohio, the only thing you need to use your current setup is this cable View attachment 5025

PM me your address and i can send you an extra one i have. The side that plugs into the PL6 is different than the side that plugs into the paraboard.

Great it looks like that will work. I have a bunch of these connectors and I really don't like to buy or use a powerboard if don't need too.

parallel_6x_1.jpg parallel_2x_1.jpg