• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion powerlab 6 & 8

hone

150cc
Just a place to discuss or ask questions about the revolectrix powerlab 6 and powerlab 8 chargers.

I've personally been using the powerlab 6 40A 1000w "battery workstation" and have loved it since i got it. I would sit at home and charge for 4 hours before i could go out and fly for 20 minutes before i got this powerful charger. Now i can safely charge six 6s packs in 30 minutes! The best part about this is, of course, more flying time!

There are many safety features built in and it is setup to with parallel charging in mind. There are fused balance boards and paraboards so if one battery blows it will pop the fuse instead of killing all the batteries. The powerlab will also ask before start up how many packs are plugged in and then let you set how many amps per pack and the powerlab will multiply that by the number of packs you selected. So, if i plug in six 4s 2500s, it will ask how many batteries IMG_20121212_183253.jpg IMG_20121212_183311.jpgi enter 6, then i enter 2.5 amps for a 1c charge rate and it multiplies it automatically for me for the number of batteries
Anyways, there is A LOT more about these chargers that makes them awesome but i highly recommend them.

http://www.revolectrix.com/

PS you will need one super duper power supply to run these chargers at full power but they are easy to come by since a lot people make them

Last edited by a moderator:

helicow

30cc
I have looked at those calculators and I have yet to convince myself I understand it.

For example I want to charge two 2200 3cell lipos in parallel at 2C.

So 2200 parallel = 4400 (I believe), * 2C = 8.8 amps? Is this right? So, how many amps does my power supply need to provide to be able to do this charge.

My power supply is: 12volt 47 amp 564 watt

Using the first calculator on their site, I plug in the numbers for one lipo and it says the max amps is 38. So is this saying I have more than enough to do the job of 2 in parallel or am I messed up on my numbers?

Seems to work just fine.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Two 3S 2200's at 2C you are not even breaking a sweat for your PS and charger. I don't get 38A however I see it as 11A @ 12v.
The second calculator ( "what kind of power supply do I need to charge my LiPo at a current I specify") to determine the PS,

Attachments

• Region capture 2.png
    Region capture 2.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 324
Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
So a question I have about either the PowerLab 6 or 8 is if you are already using a iCharger and have a gaggle of cables will they still work on the 6 or 8? The was I am thinking is they just have a 6 or 8 balance tap output and I don't know what version plug that is but they do give your (or you can buy) the adapter to use the JST in 2-8S taps so I am thinking I could just plug my parallel cables to this. Is that right?

teookie

70cc twin V2
Yes, you should still be able to use your icharger cables.

The FMA stuff comes set up to use their in-house wiring scheme, but you can change a setting in the charger options to switch to the more standard XH style balance tap wiring scheme. Once you do this, all your existing cables will work with the PL6 or PL8.

The only thing you will need, is an adapter to plug into the charger itself. One of these should work: http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-pl8-pl6-adapter-cable-for-parallel-charge-board.html