• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Playing With Artwork (just some ideas)

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I think it looks cool. Will your cutter do a die cut? That is to say if I made an outline, will the cutter cut the clear decal in any shape? I

I see my logo on a clear detail, cut in to an oval and then the plane protruding in the corner. It will need a little boarder so the drop shadow won't get cut away.

I'll finish my design and add the outline cut.

Yes, I can cut any shape easily.

I can print on clear, the only issue would be it will only look decent on a white or light colored surface since the colors will be semi transparent. White backer ink would solve the problem, but I had that feature disabled when they delivered the printer. They said it was more trouble than it was worth

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
The orange logo...if chosen to be the decal logo would be printed on white vinyl. AK is wanting his on clear. I can do either

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I found it is really hard to make decals printed on clear that look good... unless they go onto white covering. You need that white base to make them pop out... just have to cut away what you don't want.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Yeah, I had the white ink feature removed from my printer when they delivered it....more trouble than its worth. Even on clear, there can be inside cuts to remove excess material.

AKfreak

150cc
Hey mine print on white too ;). The only reason I mentioned it is, I have seen some stuff printed in clear that looked BA. This is only reason I suggested it. Nothing set in stone here, remember I am just playing around.

Here are a bunch of color variations. If we happen to use this logo. I would be happy to make custom color artwork for some of the top guys here so it matches your plane if you want. I can do PMS, CMYK, RBG hell any color, for any ink, for any process, with any separation. Not a big deal, just takes a little time.

Now I know this post will make it hard to pick one. I normally would not present this much variation to a client because they would never choose one. Again this is just for fun. For a client, I would qualify them, do as they wish, and hit them with the third finger so they picked the one I like the most. Doh...

14662689500_0403457e83_b.jpg

Sunrise (my version)

14846298391_de741e4f65_b.jpg

The Blues

14846920634_b77d6977b2_b.jpg

Teal-Pop

14662748498_54412d3654_b.jpg

Lemon-Lime

14662836017_2566dabf6d_b.jpg

Hot Pink (my youngest girl fav colors)

14869246273_25d497b35d_b.jpg

Reggae

14662836297_6b673171ec_b.jpg

Creamsicle®

AKfreak

150cc
I found it is really hard to make decals printed on clear that look good... unless they go onto white covering. You need that white base to make them pop out... just have to cut away what you don't want.

Yes on clear, you need to lay down a white base (block out), then the colors pop that are applied on top. Clear is used so only the artwork is displayed on the substrate its being applied to. It might be a PITB, but when done correctly, it looks pretty darn nice IMO.

Having said that, the white ink is not an option, so let them be printed on white. I may remove the oval and rework the URL.

More fun to come, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
My buddy has a wide format vinyl printer Im guess similar to the one [MENTION=2466]Superstocktx[/MENTION] has. His is getting a little outdated but still puts out killer graphics. We tried pretty hard to get it to print the white later underneath so we could print on clear. We finally gave up after wasting about $100 worth of materials. After that I just had him design my graphics to be printed on white and they turn out pretty awesome.

BTW... My buddy does not have a huge interest in producing vinyl graphics for rc airplanes. We just screw around with them and do an occaissional project for a little extra cash here and there. Sure is a fun toy :D
[MENTION=2466]Superstocktx[/MENTION], you happen to be using a Summa printer?