• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 107" Extra 330SC

yakken

100cc
I read about hinging with Titebond online, I was going to try it but I got ol' @Tavis to try it for me (I'm smart like that, like Tom Sawyer. haha). He tried it and ended up yank'n all the hinges out before the glue set and throwing them in the dumpster. He used Gorilla Glue fastset and loved it.

I've glued hinges in dozens and dozens of planes... always ZAP epoxy, always easy, always BOMB PROOF. So, I guess if it ain't broke. haha

I like to glue one side and let it cure, then glue it in the other side. I like to use a straight edge when I'm gluing them in to make sure they hinge pins are lined up straight as string.

I was hoping I'd only have to do one wing for now... but the other wing hinges are broken out too... after only 34 flights. Very time consuming re-hinging. Gonna have to re-setup the geometry and re-program, too.
I tested the titebond method last week. After it cures no way you will pull them out.

yakken

100cc
NOOOOO NEVER TITEBOND!!! Dries hard and get's brittle, does not fill gaps at all and is water based so does not stick to plastic.

Fast poly glue works but is horrible if you have smoke, need to gap seal top and bottom right over the hinges or the smoke raises hell with the poly glue. No replacement for good 'ol epoxy or epoxy resin mixed with some micro balloons.
I put a hinge in a piece of balsa and let it set up over night. I couldnt push or pull it out. But didnt think about the glue getting brittle.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I put a hinge in a piece of balsa and let it set up over night. I couldnt push or pull it out. But didnt think about the glue getting brittle.

Yes, after short amount of time the glue becomes brittle then add to the fact that it does not bond to the plastic is recipe for disaster. I have tried it once on a smaller plane, but I bought an 88" Edge that was pre-assembled, only flown once and it was two years old. I literally pushed all the hinges out with medium pressure and my thumbs.

Great stuff for wood, just not anything else.

Joe Hunt

150cc
McBride wanted to do a little flying this afternoon so I took out my 48" Extra since I picked up some batteries for it. This little planes fly great!

I finished covering and hinging my wings. Got about 40 hours in it, lot of work. Still need some setup, but they're close to RTF. The hinges are bombproof and the red and white covering will be much easier for me to see.

Attachments

• 20160411_163412.jpg
    20160411_163412.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 352
  • 20160412_030628.jpg
    20160412_030628.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 320

Joe Hunt

150cc
RTF, man that was a serious amount of work.

I also picked up some PSP throttle and choke arms. They look nice and have double setscrew mounting.

Attachments

• 20160412_123900.jpg
    20160412_123900.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 20160412_225420.jpg
    20160412_225420.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 325

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Very Nice Indeed! Now lets keep this one "above" all else.....the "deck" :way_to_go:. Not Flush, Not Below, Not On.....ABOVE.

And of course......NEED VIDEO :geek:.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I finished covering and hinging my wings. Got about 40 hours in it, lot of work. Still need some setup, but they're close to RTF. The hinges are bombproof and the red and white covering will be much easier for me to see.

I've used that scheme a couple times and really like it, looks great:way_to_go: