• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 107" Extra 330SC

Beaublus

New to GSN!
Hi.
Ok. I have just learnt something! I didn't know that the signals were strong enough to "pollute" one another. Just to clarify something on my setting : the clean signal, filtered by the Ibec, going to the RX is tied to the wire going to the Led. Is the Led signal dirty?
If yes, what is the required clearnce between a clean and a dirty signal?

Yes I have some velcro below both the Ibec and the ignition. Good idea your cooling air gap! :attaboy:

I 'd rather use a push/pull system on the Extra, however it won't be possible to balance the baby without adding some dead weight. So, I decided to keep the pull/pull solution.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Hi Beaublus!

About RFI, when I started back in 2001 we'd have to keep anything connected in any way to the ignition 24" away from anything connected to the receiver, with CH ignitions. DA and 3W ignitions could be 8" away then. We'd routinely run 30" nyrod throttle servo arms, etc. Then ignitions improved their insulation and most ignitions would be fine with anything connected to them being at least 4" from anything connected to the receiver. That is still my rule of thumb even though 2.4ghz seems immune to RFI. For instance there are ARF manuals now that show the throttle servo wire laying on top of the ignition. And, the TechAero IBEC itself has only a 2" separation from the ignition lead and the filtered "clean" lead going to the RX. The IBEC is my only exception to my 4" rule. But, I at least want the length of the IBEC. So, I always have the IBEC between the ignition and the receiver with its wires going straight away from it to each.

About the Pilot RC Extra 330SC center of gravity, you're right they mostly tend to come out tailheavy and need the pull/pull setup. You mentioned that you worked to get the cables to not have slack (or tension) during deflection. That's great because most guys just set them up quickly and usually the non-pulling cable drapes during deflection. Like you, I like push/pull better. But, as we know, some planes come out too tailheavy with push/pull.

I was just talking to a friend about tailwheel geometry. I made a drawing on a piece of paper to show the problem that most guys setup, and how it is wearing out their servos in flight. When I get time I'll post the drawing. :)

BTW, your plane looks great! And, they are so much fun to fly!

Beaublus

New to GSN!
Thanks a lot Joe! All your tips and advice are priceless. We always learn and I have learnt a lot with your websites ( Dod, joehuntrc) and forums. I'd like to see your drawing, I must say I didn't pay much attention with my tailwheel system. I will see how far I am.
And I 'd like to kiss Stangflyer.....on the forehead!! Your method is awesome!! One servo on one channel!! It is pure genius! I matched the two halves elevator perfectly! for both low and high rates! I was hesitating before : if my Futaba TX has special matching options, I will be dumb for not using them. I really don't know why I was preventing myself from having such a flexible system with one servo per channel! Especialy with a 14 channels system!:very_angry::face-palm::very_angry:
So I did the same with the ailerons. Although the Pilotrc Extra does not provide an accurate geometry ( see Joe's explanation, I had almost the same numbers), I adjusted the end points and expos for each servo and the result is almost perfect. It is the best I achieved on a 100cc aircraft! FYI, !I use an amp meter.

I will carry out a final check tomorrow and add some more pictures of the beauty. However I 'll have to wait for shoulder to get better before flying!
Can't wait!!:dancing-chicken:

Beaublus

New to GSN!
Hi guys!

That's it! I maidened the Extra yesterday!!! all went very well. The aircraft flies straight as an arrow! I am quite happy with all my initial seetings. The cg looks good to me. I might need some rear weight for extreme 3d flight but for Imac I think I have found the right cg.
I am also quite impressed with the DLE111. It runs already very well although it requires a good break in.
I am a happy man!!

Attachments

• 20161117_145617.jpg
    20161117_145617.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 435
  • 20161117_145623.jpg
    20161117_145623.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 464
  • 20161117_145634.jpg
    20161117_145634.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 432
  • 20161117_145637.jpg