• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Peak Models 32% Extra 330 SC

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Got a couple of flights on the plane today after Kitchen Bitchin for the crew at the club meeting today. Whew I was just flat wore out and my flying surly showed it so no vid of that crap. Do have a short vid of sound comparison with another DA70 and 2 n 1 header with canister. Did not meter performance Just a sound comparison of the two together

I will say the plane was extremely quiet in the air! It would have no problem flying at Jo Nall this year. I also like the exhaust note much better too. Still sounds like stock in cowls with that nice beefy deep tone but subdued and quiet.

And let me also mention Kevin and Al did a great job manufacturing this muffler. Welds are excellent and the bead polished aluminum is extremely attractive. I had them make the can end caps thick as to get a good set of threads in them for the mounting straps I made from mild steel.

Now that the muffler issues have been put to bed on to correct the incidence of the stabs. Yes my flying was:dancing-poop:today but I did have some help. Also there is not enough right thrust built in to the motor mount. Plane becomes extremely unstable when trying a 3 point landing and wont stall clean.
Really sounds great Kelly. Bet you're aching to really get her up and ring her out huh?

Alky6

150cc
Yep, very cool. Like what you have come up with. Very simple and effective! Are you going to get some measured results to compare, or are you satsified?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Really sounds great Kelly. Bet you're aching to really get her up and ring her out huh?

The plane did some awesome tumbling with the huge control surfaces but trying to control everything was way difficult because of the right thrust and stab incidence. In a hover the plane would always pull left with a lot of right rudder.
Knife Edge (both directions) the plane will pull hard to the canopy because of the incidence not correctly set. I have no doubt I got a first run error from you know who and just have that much more :steamer: to work out. Huge gathering for this plane to show and it really presented poorly :gnashing: in flight characteristic. Muffler presented extremely well and the planes appearance was liked by many.

Yep, very cool. Like what you have come up with. Very simple and effective! Are you going to get some measured results to compare, or are you satsified?

I am extremely pleased with the muffler. Yes more testing is to be done. I just did not have time cuz I was getting wore out cooking for 25 people. But needless to say the muffler is a winner as @pawnshopmike said.

Another point I want to make is that the muffler and header weigh less than 3/4 pound (11.6oz to be exact). This is over a pound of weight saving compared to the canister set up in the video.

I am going to see if DA will make me a 2-n-1 for the 120 so I can have Jtec make me a muffler for it for my upcoming Pilot Edge build.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Earlier in the thread I recommended this plane and still do. I just happened to get the crap one with problems. Buy this plane from the other vendors that sell it and will support it. Dealing directly with, you know, has not been the greatest of experiences.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Kelly, it sounds awesome, but you may need to sharpen your pencil on the pound weight savings. Here is a TD75K on a scale that's had about 7 years of use, so who knows what's inside it.
20150519_221115_resized_1.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Kelly, it sounds awesome, but you may need to sharpen your pencil on the pound weight savings. Here is a TD75K on a scale that's had about 7 years of use, so who knows what's inside it.
View attachment 50702

Thanks @Jetpainter . I was going from the weight told by the owner of the plane in the vid. He said about pound and a half for every thing. I did weigh the 2-n-1 with the custom muff and it was 11.6 oz total after cutting the inlet and stacks to size. The header uncut weighed 4.2 oz and 3.8 oz after I cut it to fit. The muffler weighed 8.5 oz uncut and 7.8 oz after being cut.

So if the coupler and clamps are added to the TDK (1.5oz) 10.6 oz plus 4.2 for uncut 2-n-1 is 14.8 oz. Just 1.2 oz shy of a pound.
11.6 for muffler and cut header. Still a bit lighter at about a quarter pound.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Thanks @Jetpainter . I was going from the weight told by the owner of the plane in the vid. He said about pound and a half for every thing. I did weigh the 2-n-1 with the custom muff and it was 11.6 oz total after cutting the inlet and stacks to size. The header uncut weighed 4.2 oz and 3.8 oz after I cut it to fit. The muffler weighed 8.5 oz uncut and 7.8 oz after being cut.

So if the coupler and clamps are added to the TDK (1.5oz) 10.6 oz plus 4.2 for uncut 2-n-1 is 14.8 oz. Just 1.2 oz shy of a pound.
11.6 for muffler and cut header. Still a bit lighter at about a quarter pound.
Is this Bernie math?