• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

limited landing area. How big can I get away with?

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Yes, I do realize, but thanks. I like the idea of the 60" laser as it sound like it looks more like a 70" with that big fuse. It is a good dilemma.

quadracer

100cc
Yeah, that's the only reason I haven't owned a 51 yet, it takes some odd size equipment. I'm gonna try to find a bare airframe and equip it like a 60" plane for fun. All that said, there's a ton of planes both from 3DHS and EF that will fly on 60" plane gear, so that would be a more logical choice. Fly, crash, repair, fly, crash, place surviving gear into any number of airframes. :)

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I do have a 47"shp that I just got crashed and have not even flown it. It is repaired I just have to finish the radio install. The downside is the outlay for for a 60" is about 7 bones where a 48" is only the cost of the airframe. I really want something bigger. I decided to hold off and see how my repaired shp does. For now-----heheheh!

wedoitall

I wish I had such a nice strip! nice extra too. I have almost no problems with orientation now. I only get goofed up on torque rolls and fall out of them sometimes. That is not the issue at all. My problem was the tall weeds so I was coming in high. Now I get it in down the strip. I just crab into the wind as necessary. Now my question of the week is to stay with another EF in 48" wich I have tons of gear for? The 51" slick looks good. But I have my heart set on the 60" laser. That entails buying a bunch of new gear. It is a frustrating dilemma as I am one of those people that has to be absolutely sure of what I am buying. It means I am one huge dork I suppose.

im a dork too, ill research stuff to death before i even think of buying. glad im not the only one. :D

robj

70cc twin V2
I thought I would never be without a 51. But I recently replaced it with the 48 epp for a practice plane. I'm just fearless with the 48 and I have a couple spares thanks to some deals.

Quad I won a 51 at the fli, traded it for a 48 epp. :)

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I have a 37 edge and the 3dhs epp Yak. Love 'em! I just want something that will rock and roll if you know what I mean. Just a little peppier. Shp this weekend!!!!!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Dredging up an old thread. I have not been on (the forum) much as I went off on a bit of a fitness quest. I sttarted mountain biking again. Even did a race. Most of all just had fun. Still flying, never stopped.
I had good luck with the 47" SHP (above). No problems landing in the yard at all. I also found that it would fly fine within a wide range of CG and remain very controllable. This planes lands fine, just keep a tiny bit of speed. I learned a lot about landing this year from my "tight" landing area. I probably would never have gained this knowledge and skill without flying here. I flew the snot out of that little guy all summer. I am back to thinking bigger. 60" electric or 30cc gasser. I like the gasser idea. longer flight times appeal to me. I plan on joining the local club. The field there is HUGE! I can now see getting a 30cc plane in here (home) no problem. I will have the R/C field available to get used to it with a 3500' runway. Fun times ahead!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=2581]hopper[/MENTION] This is where we will be flying out of. I am planning on adding runway out past the pine trees. Plus a more conventional runway crossway out in the feild in front of the trees as well. This should make flying any size airframe we want out of here possible. This thread really helped me with my landings. I went from eating up the whole yard with the 47 shp to landing at my feet. Maybe 3 foot roll out! I would now not be afraid of a 60-72" plane out here at all. Ben's article is good as is the tips from everyone here!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Field expasion in progress. 350ft long and about 100-150 ft wide I would guess. No limits anymore! Pretty exciting.