• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

limited landing area. How big can I get away with?

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Alright, my first post and an odd question. I have been flying my foam 3dhs yak 54 here (48"). No problems. I have unlimited air space but a bit of a restricted landing area. I have a great aproach over 2 ponds. The actual area to touch down is short. I am sure I could do a balsa 48" here. I have all the gear in the Yak. Bonus. Then the thoughts of a 30cc pop up? I am confident a 60" electric would be fine. I really have not owned anything ove 72" and that was years ago and certainly not a modern 3d plane. I have a little air video I will see if I can post. I may have to put in a bigger strip! But for now I need to deal with what I have. Thanks for the input!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey Gonzo,

First - read this article: http://www.3drcforums.com/content.php?225-How-to-Land-a-3D-airplane
Second - can you provide some approximate size estimate of your field?

I know for me, I used to fly on a 150x20 ft landing strip, surrounded by rocks and desert brush. When I first started flying, I needed all of it just to land my 48" planes. But with persistence and practice, I was eventually able to harrier land some 30cc sized planes (electric versions), and then traditionally land them on that runway. The things that made it most challenging, was when I had crosswinds. When you have a finite landing space, you can't let the airplane weather-vane into the wind and land whichever way is easy. you need to be specific and deliberate on your cross-wind control inputs, and THAT takes a fair amount of practice.

Hope the above helps, looking forward to seeing you landing area.

-G

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Thanks Gary! It is really a weird landing area. I have maybe 100 yard strip 20 ft wide. Pond on one side and a hill on the other. It opens into an area that is bigger maybe 50x50 with a sloping hill. I come over the pond or the strip depending on wind. When I started I thought the McFoamy would be the only thing I could fly here. Funny, as I progress I am getting more confident. It is good because It makes me work for good landings. Fighting a decaying approach to harrier landing at first to getting better. I will see if i can snagg the aerial video when I get home.

quadracer

100cc
I can drop my 89 Slick in on about 20' of runway, but I wouldn't try it on a 20' runway. I have flown it in and out of a ~75' x 35' strip, and I was a little nervous dropping it in there, but had plenty of room. I guess it all depends on how big of balls ya got!

gyro

GSN Contributor
I can drop my 89 Slick in on about 20' of runway, but I wouldn't try it on a 20' runway. I have flown it in and out of a ~75' x 35' strip, and I was a little nervous dropping it in there, but had plenty of room. I guess it all depends on how big of balls ya got!

Sam, guessing you're harrier landing right?

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Been working on my "wheel" landings with the little 37" WM edge 540. It is the hardest plane I have to land consistant. Wire gear and small wheels make for imteresting landings. I may have to cut in a real strip to go much bigger or really get my harrier landings now. If the wind is low I can grab the 48" and smaller planes out of a hover. Not so much with a gasser! My real goal is to add a gas plane so I can get longer flight times and more practice.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Here is my first ever narrative video. The space between the trees is actually 45'. It is not the easiest to do a roll out landing here. You really have to stay low across the pond and grease it in.
[video=youtube;z9sMFBS2wlc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9sMFBS2wlc[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
Here is my first ever narrative video. The space between the trees is actually 45'. It is not the easiest to do a roll out landing here. You really have to stay low across the pond and grease it in.

Video is private