• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

limited landing area. How big can I get away with?

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I shot a landing video. I did a super cool pop top turn around and it was above camera level! It got too dark to shoot it again. Need to rig up a cam. I am new to video. That was fun though.

Last edited by a moderator:

quadracer

100cc
I wouldn't hesitate to fly 50cc in and out of there, even doing scale landings. Landing uphill you wont get much rollout at all. Looks like if you come in through that dip to the right of the pond, you'd have tons of room too. You'd have an unlevel landing, but that wouldn't be a problem.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
That is inspiring! That little strip between the hill and pond is about 20ft wide or so. I used to fly edf's in from the "field end", land and slide them down that strip. I have taken to leaving the grass taller (at that end) when I mow down there. I am thinking about picking up a balsa 48" soon and transfer the equipment from my 48" 3dhs yak (epp). Then either a 60" electric or the EF 78" extra and set it up with a 35cc. The 60" would make a lot of sense in the progression and would be very affordable. Even a 30cc wouldn't be too bad. For me anything bigger is a little impractical when it comes to transport (I think). Time to do some homework on airframes, motors.

SnowDog

I was thinking the same thing as Sam...use the area to the right of the pond as either your approach or your landing area.

I think I would try taking off from that area to the right of the pond, out over the field, and then land the same way. Seems like you have plenty of rollout if you go that way as opposed to over the pond. Nice flying area!

jmart95

70cc twin V2
I wouldn't hesitate to fly 50cc in and out of there, even doing scale landings. Landing uphill you wont get much rollout at all. Looks like if you come in through that dip to the right of the pond, you'd have tons of room too. You'd have an unlevel landing, but that wouldn't be a problem.

Agreed, if you had your approach over the pond you'll be fine. Gravity will be your friend in this case. My suggestion would be to kill the engine a foot or two off the ground so you don't get a propstrike on the hill

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
My main concern is coming in slow over the pond and flame out. The hill is not too bad. I came in hot in this video and put it at my feet. I am just left of the camera. I stuck my phone in the tree.

[video=youtube;AWgmt7Zt_lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgmt7Zt_lw[/video]

jmart95

70cc twin V2
My main concern is coming in slow over the pond and flame out. The hill is not too bad. I came in hot in this video and put it at my feet. I am just left of the camera. I stuck my phone in the tree.

[video=youtube;AWgmt7Zt_lw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgmt7Zt_lw[/video]
take it out further and have a longer approach, giving you more time, and if it'd make you more comfortable, do a flight or two just practicing approaches there to get comfortable and the feel of how you want to make the landing. If you take it over the green brush in the pond and then turn right to land in the grass your only over the water for a matter of seconds and you'll still have enough forward momentum take make the grass if you're deadstick/cut off

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
They float... Just ask Hugocraft. :D

Really though, if it flames out over the pond, I'd say you'll likely have enough glide slope to land it unless you're harrier landing it.
There is another pond behind the pond. This pond has an island in the middle. I am going to go out in the morning and cut the scrub brush that popped up around the pond. The tree in the middle up by the driveway and the stuff on the hill next to the garage. That will open it up a lot. May do a balsa this week (48" as I have gear for it). This foamy is a good flier but it just does not pop and spin like the yak did. It is a little goofy to land as well. I will keep shooting some more landings and decide what to get. For sure a 60" or a 30cc to keep cost down then maybe look at doing 50cc over the winter. I really think either of those would keep it interesting