• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Iron-on coverings? Opinions?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I'll be covering a line-control Chipmunk for my dad in a few weeks, I'll get a tennis ball and demonstrate. Actually I think anybody can do it, it just takes a lot of film!! Lol

The SIG kit? I've always wanted to build one of those, there's one for sale on RCU but I can't get myself to add another project to the long line already waiting on me. the new club I'm joining actually has a UC legend, Bob Hunt so we'll be flying UC there from time to time. woo hoo!

love that Pitts Model 12, which airframe is that?

Bipeguy03

150cc
Yep it's the Sig kit, dad and his friend just out of the blue one day decided they wanted to do UC again.

The Pitts is the Trueworthy 35%, it's been around the mill. As far as I can tell I'm the 4th owner, it's had 3 or 4 different looks also. Here are a couple pics I have of it when it was older, it was Red and Black when I got it.
Up48869.jpg
pitts before 1.jpg
pitts before 2.jpg

Anybody ever put 7" strips of Ultracote over Monocote on the bottom of a wing? Is there any trick to keep it from bubbling up?
I'm using two 7" wide strips of Fluorescent red from the leading edge to the trailing edge at the tips.... Used Windex to first lay the Ultracote where I wanted it..... then squeegeed it on.... but as soon as I used the iron (with socks on)...Holy Hell broke loose...

Any realistic help-suggestions would be appreciated..... I've only put on one piece so all is not lost as yet.
Wayne

Bipeguy03

150cc
Poke holes in the bottom layer of film under where the stripes are going to be. It can be done with a T-pin or stick pin, there needs to be a lot of them close together, you need to give the gasses from the heated glue on the back of the film a place to escape.

Then start with a low temp around 200 degrees and work from the center out moving the iron in circles. This will keep any small air bubbles that didn't escape through the holes in the bottom layer of film moving toward the edges to escape there.

After that sneak up the temperature in small increments to seal it down. I can't give you a definitive temp to use because every roll of film is different, and there is a temp variation due to mixing MonoKote and Ultracote. I'd say go up in 10 degree increments, until you feel it is firmly stuck or you start to get more small bubbles (which can be popped with a pin of the tip of an exacto).

Bipeguy03

150cc
I don't like the Windex trick, as you at heat it's just one more thing that is going to vaporize and cause bubbles. Using it to put on things like stickers or trim sheet is great, but if you have to add heat you'll add problems.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Anybody ever put 7" strips of Ultracote over Monocote on the bottom of a wing? Is there any trick to keep it from bubbling up?
I'm using two 7" wide strips of Fluorescent red from the leading edge to the trailing edge at the tips.... Used Windex to first lay the Ultracote where I wanted it..... then squeegeed it on.... but as soon as I used the iron (with socks on)...Holy Hell broke loose...

Any realistic help-suggestions would be appreciated..... I've only put on one piece so all is not lost as yet.
Wayne

Here you go. @Torquerolljoe to the rescue!

Watch the video in post number 71:way_to_go:

http://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/covering.1304/page-8

Last edited:

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I am sure most of you have had the color from the adhesive stick to your iron on occasion, when ironing down seams. Then have it transfer to another color not a pretty site. I found the best way to remove the colored adhesive from the iron is to clean it off with Dryer sheets FWIW

Last edited:
Just watch the video I posted that @pawnshopmike is referring to. I have done it this way for years! Smooth and no bubbles!
THANKS for responding guys... It is very much appreciated. Last night, I tried a second piece with 150°F iron temp and it worked much better.

Remember, I'm putting Ultracote on top of MONOCOTE (not Ultracote) ... Anyway... I will try the mixture and the heat gun on an old wing today to see the results before I tackle the other wing.

Once again, THANKS for the response from all.
Wayne

I am sure most of you have had the color from the adhesive stick to your iron on occasion, when ironing down seams. Then have it transfer to another color not a pretty site. I found the best way to remove the colored adhesive from the iron is to clean it off with Dryer sheets FWIW
I use trim solve with monokote. Seals the edges and cleans the smears all at the same time. :)