• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Iron-on coverings? Opinions?

BalsaDust

i can't remember what I covered with Ultracoat a while back but I know I've used it. I just seem to remember that the edges don't lay down and stick like Monokote but Monokote isn't what it once was so it's hard to decide.

I'll probably try Ultracoat again and see how it turns out.

Nobody wants to vouch for Chinakote? Someone out there must have tried it

Bart I will vouch for it. The stuff from Value hobbies is da bomb. I love it. Some of the colors don't really match their description like the Cherry Red that is more pink than red but other than that I love it. The transparent colors are really nice and the tranny red looks just like a cherry jolly rancher. Both of these birds where covered with the stuff from value hobbies.

Attachments

• chubcub mods.JPG
    chubcub mods.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 292
  • edited cub.jpg
    edited cub.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 264
  • bottom of plane.jpg
    bottom of plane.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 297
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 266
  • top of plane.jpg
    top of plane.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 326

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
Ultracote And Monokote, just depends on what color you want. I like monokote's sheen. Color selection is off the hook. i seem to use my iron more with monocote and the trick is to tack at low heat, seal at high(est) heat. heat gun then on. Do not leave anything loose when doing the initial tack. that is where ultracote is more forgiving IMHO. Pulling up monokote after it has been tacked will leave wrinkles. Then it is a piece you need to throw away. no room for error. I use a soft glove when using heat gun to help promote adhesion with both.

if you want to paint, koverall is the way to go!

MonoKote for me. The colors and the shine. Off the charts. It is a little harder to work with, but if you are experienced and do proper prep work, it is easy to go down. I generally use around 300F, and hide the heat gun for solid surfaces. I let the iron do all the work, and I do not stretch or pull the covering by hand. I may pull it taught, but that is to go around the LE or TE of wings or stabs. Tacking the covering and picking it up and repositioning it, doesn't yield wrinkles for me. What works for me, may not work for others.

I've used UltraCote before too. Too much heat, shrinkage is severe. It pulls the line away from what you are working on. I covered a fun fly type airplane many moons ago in UltraCote. Went to shrink the outer bay on the wing, and covering pulled the wing tip in. It is easy as hell to work with. And you need much less heat to tack with and to seal with.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
just curious, is Ultracote made in the USA? i'll use it if it is otherwise I'm probably going to use Monokote but thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions!

Bart

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i probably won't try the valuehobbies material this time around. maybe another project in the future but for now it'll be monoxxxx or ultraxxxx.

Does one or the other do any better in the sun?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
i probably won't try the valuehobbies material this time around. maybe another project in the future but for now it'll be monoxxxx or ultraxxxx.

Does one or the other do any better in the sun?
Can't speak for anyone else, however from past experience my Ultracote covering jobs seem to hold the sun just a tad better. I had a plane that was covered from the manufacturer with Monokote. I could not keep it from blistering in the summer sun. Every time I took that plane home, I spent an hour putting the stuff back down. The same summer day with a completely different airframe covered with Ultracote from the manufacturer left a few raised areas on ailerons and elevators. About five minutes of lower heat with my iron and they were good to go.

Bigbird

30cc
Bart,
UltraCote is made in Germany. MonoKote is made in the USA. Both great products once you learn how to apply them.
Monokote the learning curve is steeper but once you figure it out the finished product is awesome. UltraCote is quicker to learn and a bit more forgiving while applying it. I prefer Monokote but only if it is applied properly. You have to stretch the hell out of it when laying the material down. If you don't the wrinkles will never stop resurfacing.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
Tacking the covering and picking it up and repositioning it, doesn't yield wrinkles for me.

i should have not used tacking in my phrase concerning wrinkles that cant be removed. What i was trying to refer to was after the shrink process. Repositioning is very hard after that whereas with ultracote you can get away with it a little bit. So indeed we are in agreement bunky, i just had a brain lapse...again :(

sweetpea

100cc
Monokote for me. Ultracote is dull to me. The colors and shine are better. Yes, its harder to get it without wrinkles but Ultracote isn't forgiving to too much heat and will get wavy on the edges. I also prefer monokote when you lay colors on top of each other.