• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How many years have you been in the hobby?

How long have you been in the hobby?

• Total voters

econpatric

70cc twin V2
I voted. 22yrs

Advise I can give is that fly something you aint afraid to crash (in your budget) and learn how to build, or repair. Building and repairing are fun and they always fly better after a crash (because you dont worry so much about it being pretty) Dont fear getting low, you can see it better up close and learn faster and better than the other guy trying to learn to hover 50ft in the air or worse 15 ft in no mans land where if your engine dies your pretty mutch up a creek without a paddle (we have all been there) What we fly are toy airplanes and helies, so dont try to go out and spend more than your budget to impress someone with a toy..... And above all HAVE FUN! Challenge yourself with your buddies and keep screaming LOWER no matter how low they get.

This is my favorite advice so far! I especially love the part about "screaming LOWER no matter how low they get." I will be trying this on my Dad next flying session! :banana:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
1970? Wow. Were transmitters still HAM modulation back then? :p :D

No, pretty much a basic 4-channel radio with slide trims and no programming. The earliest radio I can remember having was a HobbyLobby 4 channel which you can see on this page scroll down a ways left side. $219 back then.

Something you new guys have probably never seen was the color coded frequency streamers that you clipped on you 3-4' long antennas.

kwj48

70cc twin V2
I voted. 22yrs

Advise I can give is that fly something you aint afraid to crash (in your budget) and learn how to build, or repair. Building and repairing are fun and they always fly better after a crash (because you dont worry so much about it being pretty) Dont fear getting low, you can see it better up close and learn faster and better than the other guy trying to learn to hover 50ft in the air or worse 15 ft in no mans land where if your engine dies your pretty mutch up a creek without a paddle (we have all been there) What we fly are toy airplanes and helies, so dont try to go out and spend more than your budget to impress someone with a toy..... And above all HAVE FUN! Challenge yourself with your buddies and keep screaming LOWER no matter how low they get.

Awsome advice right there. :thumbup:

SnowDog

This is my favorite advice so far! I especially love the part about "screaming LOWER no matter how low they get." I will be trying this on my Dad next flying session! :banana:

Ha ha I can attest to this...I've been the recipient of Craig's "lower...lower" challenges many times...and with good reason ;) since I'm a chicken ;) of course I yell the same taunt when he is flying but he just scrapes the wing tips on the ground, flips it over, scrapes the rudder, and grins "next!?" :D

I'm in the r/c hobby over 30 years.....did a little circle flying and attempted heli flying about 20 years ago...then went back to cars and boats. 3 years ago made a friend at a r/c race track who also flew, he taught me the basics, got me flying solo...I built an EPP profile from plans and now I can't stop trying to learn all there is to know about 3D flight...( You never really know everything.....I learn something new everyday....but I won't stop trying;) )

Hey Ohio....I remember the streamers. Radio impound at big events....having to yell out " 62 turning on !!!!!" and waiting to see if anyone else might be on that frequency..... Thankfully that's a thing of the past:)

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Hey Ohio....I remember the streamers. Radio impound at big events....having to yell out " 62 turning on !!!!!" and waiting to see if anyone else might be on that frequency..... Thankfully that's a thing of the past:)

Glad to hear I am not the only one :) My sister still lives in Poughkeepsie, I used to fly my plane in to Stewart to visit.

Rick dazzler

70cc twin V2
Been in it since 1994... Started when i was 13.. I am now 31 this year.. of course I stopped in the teenage years when I picked up the guitar and met girls.. LOL.. Came back in 2002.. Been hard at it ever since!