• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hot off the truck! DLE-61's are here!!!

Nordlocks can be acquired at Fastenal. They come in a bag of 25 for under $20. They have a ton of locations through out the country. I use them on the standoff mounting, the muffler, and the prop. Only place I have had a issue is with the muffler. Best to run it up to temp, then tighten the bolts slightly more in some planes. I have noticed it the most with OS gas engines for some reason.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/produc...pcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
The way Nordlocks do not work is where there is relaxation under the screw head. They will not work on wood, soft plastics etc. They would be iffy with a wood prop, but under the CF Mej props or aluminum standoffs and the like, they are are a 100% solution. For engine mounts, I embed brass tubes through the firewall so that the compression forces under the screws do not compress the plywood firewall. BTW, I still remember a Prof in school that drove home the point that a screw is a screw is a screw, until you put a nut on it, then it becomes a bolt.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Maiden flight on the DLE61 tomorrow.

Got it all setup VVRC style with a Hover 24x9 CF prop.

Started it at the house already so I know it fires up just fine.

It was likely an unnecessary step, but I've had excellent results with the bowman ring in my DLE engines in the past, so I sent the motor to Frank Bowman to install a ring and check the reed block. Since he'd never done a DLE61, he needed to measure the piston.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just got the maiden flight complete after some adjusting of the needles on the ground.

Tuned for good transition and 6600rpm on the ground with the hover 24x9 CF.

In flight max rpm was 7800, and the engine was exceptionally smooth.

On thing I liked was the ONE FLIP starts while tuning. Such an easy engine to work on.

I'm very happy with the performance on he maiden, and can't wait to get her broken in and up into my favorite 24x10 prop.

SupaTim

70cc twin V2
Awesome! Knew you would love it, your first results are way better than mine! I need some of that Texas air to fly in as this Northwest stuff is sand bagging my RPM's...

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think a little of that might be my fuel, I'm running VP Power Mix 40:1... So a little thinner than the recommended Dino oil at 32:1. Just means a bit of a slower break in, which is fine for me to not have two cans of fuel at the field.