• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hot off the truck! DLE-61's are here!!!

SupaTim

70cc twin V2
new toys.jpg

This is going to be a work in progress for me as but wanted to share a little info on the new batch of 2014 engines from DLE. I'm fortunate enough to be one of the guys that gets early access to new products from DLE/Valley View RC as well as a few other things so want to make sure and share my experiences both good and bad (if necessary...) These will be on the shelves in the next month so why not get a sneak peek here! :grrreat:

IMG_20131203_134742685.jpgIMG_20131203_135231123.jpgIMG_20131203_135246691.jpg

First impression of the DLE-61 is it looks great! First, it's noticeably bigger than the 55 and 55RA. It shares the footprint of the 55RA and looks like the same carb as well. Throttle arm looks updated otherwise all the hardware is standard equipment with everything you need to get it mounted up and bolted together. Includes the 8.4v HV ignition like the RA as well.

IMG_20131203_134718681.jpgIMG_20131203_134638577.jpgIMG_20131203_135258130.jpg

Prop bolt pattern is the same as the 50/55/RA so new new jig needed. Opting not to fly at noise sensitive fields has helped me go back to the purist stock muffler/no cans/no throttle curve mentality so one thing I really liked is the updated stock muffler. First, it's included!! Second is that it's angled, both back and in. If you've ever had to cut out that annoying little crescent moon shape on the front of new cowl you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'll be the first to admit it looks a little lightweight and cheap, but as long as it holds and performs that's all I care about!!

I'm headed back to the garage to put together my new 92" 3DHS Edge to carry this big new beast but as I find anything will update along the way!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Looks great Tim! I do appreciate that the muffler is tapered...I've cut out way too many of those crescent moon shapes in cowls!

SupaTim

70cc twin V2
Well 2 months and 38 12 minute flights later, I've had nothing but great luck with this engine! The plane has lost 2 sets of wheel pants, one wing tip, and a tail wheel, but the engine is still rockin and rollin!!

I'm now turning between 64-6500 rpm on the ground with a Falcon carbon fiber 24x9 and happy with a smooth idle around 1700. Weather has been crap for a few weeks so hoping to burn some serious fuel this weekend. Mama's getting a good valentines present so I should get a pretty good hall pass...

Diggity

70cc twin V2
6 flights on the new dle61, mounted on the 3dhs 92 Edge. Very impressed thus far! The weather has permitted me from flying for the past 3 weeks. But I intend to ring it out next week, should be near 60 degrees here. But like Tim said above, smooth idle and pretty quite with the stock muffler. I doubt that I'm pulling 6500rpms, but with the falcon 24x9 prop, it's has amazing power from the get go!! From the first flip it was nearly close to tuned. But a couple tweaks of the needles and it was transitioning and idling near perfect. Only time will tell, but I'm pretty excited to see more of this motor.

SupaTim

70cc twin V2
I started with a 23x9 Falcon and the engine was SCREAMING! When I went to the 24x9 was only turning about 6200, but seriously picking up RPM every flight and have yet to touch the needles again since getting it dialed in before maiden...

SupaTim

70cc twin V2
Still loving mine more and more every flight! It's about time for it's first tune up since our weather has warmed up about 25 degrees compared to when I first bolted her on.

If it helps here's a movie I put together from my flights last week. I guess the proof is in the pudding (or video...) :D

[video=youtube_share;mtQpKB0xpDk]http://youtu.be/mtQpKB0xpDk[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
Tim, take a peak at your ring, let me know if you see any high spots on the ring, or wear inside the cylinder from high spots.

Also, did you ever look at your reed block before starting?

SupaTim

70cc twin V2
Nope, no reason to. Bolted mine on and fueled her up. Drew fuel with just the little compression "bumps" so knew the reed block was fine.

As for the ring, compression was strong but smooth so no red flags to pull off the jug. A lot of guys feel they NEED a Bowman ring but I fly enough that my stock equipment breaks in far sooner than most.