• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair Build

camss69

70cc twin V2
Tonight's mission.... Figure out how to cut the tail gear doors apart. After considering multiple options, I went with a fine tooth razor saw and the cut came out perfect, except for some paint chipping at the edges. They are painted plastic so I kind of expected that, I have some touch-up paint that should take care of it. Tomorrow I'll start working on getting them hinged and figuring out some mechanism to open and close them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 705
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 658
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 654

camss69

70cc twin V2
Ordered my pilot today, hope he's a good one!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 668
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 695

camss69

70cc twin V2
Hi Tom, I thought that was maybe the case based on your avatar photo. What engine are you running? How do you like flying it? Did you make the gear doors functional, if so do you have any pics how you did it? I'm really struggling with the doors, the rest of the plane is coming together pretty easily. The doors I sit there and stare and try to figure a way to do it but haven't been brave enough to make any progress.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Installed the Xport Duo (XD) and battery extensions permantly tonight. I don't usually, but since the top (bottom) of the XD is pretty much impossible to get to I put some silicon adhesive (shoe goo) on the receiver, switch, and xbus-out connections. If I had too I can get it back out if I remove a bunch of stuff but I'm hoping I won't need to get it back out again. I also ran an extra male to male extension so if I decide to run a second receiver the extension is already there. Then I realized one of the elevator servo extensions is about 1" too short, it's always something.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 657
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 644
Hi Tom, I thought that was maybe the case based on your avatar photo. What engine are you running? How do you like flying it? Did you make the gear doors functional, if so do you have any pics how you did it? I'm really struggling with the doors, the rest of the plane is coming together pretty easily. The doors I sit there and stare and try to figure a way to do it but haven't been brave enough to make any progress.

I installed the Saito FG-84 engine with a Keleo exhaust ring. I had some questions regarding the exhaust ring and the owner of Keleo approached me if I would help him design an engine box for the Hangar 9 Corsair. In return he asked me to write the installation manual. By using the engine box, it allows the Saito FG-84 to be installed with keeping the valve covers inside of the cowling.

No I did not make the doors functional (think someday I might redo the doors)

Regarding the flying, this is my first large warbird plane with flaps so other than the landing, the plane flies really nice. I’m learning that you need to keep the power on when flaps are down and fly that big $$ plane to the ground (easier said than done).

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-13_20-41-2.png
    upload_2016-3-13_20-41-2.png
    293.1 KB · Views: 696

Tail wheel door
Check this out:

Go to the forum on "RC Universe H9 60cc Corsair", post "builds" on there,go to page 54,post # 1330 + # 1334

camss69

70cc twin V2
Nice! I was seriously considering the Saito 84 but the additional cost of the Ray English mods turned me off. That engine with the Keleo ring sounds AWESOME! I almost went that route.. I'm really hoping the Evolution 7-77 will be enough power to fly it well. Thanks for the video of the tailwheel doors, I had seen that installation but not the video.

Not too much progress today, I installed the cockpit sides and then spent a good amount of time experimenting with hinges trying to figure out how I need to mount them. It was time well spent because they did not work how I thought I needed to mount them.

I opened the glow driver to start planning out the installation. I got to reading through the instructions and man... Sounds like a guy that's sick of fixing stuff! "Don't try to B/S me, I can tell!!". LOL, I like this guy!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 609
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 589
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 587

camss69

70cc twin V2
This guy flew in this morning, checking out his new office. He might have a bit of a height issue, he's pretty tall. Might have to loose the parachute....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 633