• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair Build

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
If anyone is interested, I thought I would document my Corsair build. If anyone else has built one or is building one feel free to jump in! Just a little bit of warning, I take about twice as long as the average person to build my planes so this will be a SLOW to update thread! Also contributing to the slowness is this is the most complicated model I've ever "assembled"... So it will be even slower than normal. There's a lot of building if you ask me for this plane being an ARF.

The plane came delivered by UPS, which I can't remember the last time I had a plane delivered by UPS. Thankfully they didn't smash or poke holes in anything. It comes in three boxes, the cowl in one box, fuselage and wing tips in another box and the wing center section comes in its own box.. The most impressive part out of the box was the wing center section, it's all fiberglass and is really a work of art. The inner two flaps on each side of the wing are fiberglass with the third section of flap and the ailerons being traditional built up construction.

There are a LOT of parts... A LOT! I have ordered and received everything for this plane with the exception of the receiver batteries and the actual engine itself. I will probably wait on the engine until I actually need it.. I plan on using the Evolution 77cc radial and have already bought all the accessories for this installation. This airplane has a pretty exact scale outline and has a short nose. The radial while sounding awesome will help with nose weight, I shouldn't need much if any.

I have a lot of pics and better pics that I will post as I go. I plan on using the sliding canopy, scale pilot, scale lighting, retracts, retract doors and the previously mentioned radial. The only offered option I'm not planning on doing is the bomb/tank drops.

Control will be with my JR XG 11 using an Infinity XBus receiver.
I've heard the quality of the 60cc Mustang is not that great. Lots of problems. From what I have heard. It deterred me from getting one. How is the quality of the Corsair?

camss69

70cc twin V2
I've heard the quality of the 60cc Mustang is not that great. Lots of problems. From what I have heard. It deterred me from getting one. How is the quality of the Corsair?

The plane itself, the wooden structure is great, very nice. My two biggest complaints are parts like gear doors and hatch covers are made of plastic and the covering is marginal at best. I get it, it's like trying to cover a bowling ball, there's not a straight line on the plane but there's ironed in wrinkles in places there shouldn't be. I've spent a lot of time trying to get the wrinkles out. I called Horizon and asked them to send me a roll of covering which they did. There's going to be a few small areas that need the covering to be removed and re-covered. This plane also had a lot of rub marks on it where it looks like the covering has been rubbed in the plastic a lot.. Overall I think it's good quality, but the covering job leaves a little to be desired and is my biggest complaint. It would also be nice if they had supplied the parts to make the gear doors optional instead of leaving it up to the modeler.

I have a friend that is building the 60cc mustang at the same time. He's almost done, but he's had a ton of stuff he's had to fix. Had to completely strip the area on the fuse around the stabs, sand and re-finish the area and then re-cover. The covering on his plane was also pretty bad. We both agree we would take a serious look at some of the other options. (The Taildraggerrc warbirds look pretty awesome! Or the Aeroworks mustangs)

Last edited:

camss69

70cc twin V2
Speaking of the 60cc Mustang, he sent me a motivational pic today.. That thing looks AWESOME! Need to get some bench pillows for the Corsair LOL!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 641

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Speaking of the 60cc Mustang, he sent me a motivational pic today.. That thing looks AWESOME! Need to get some bench pillows for the Corsair LOL!

My friend Andy flies the stang with a DA60. He had to recover the plane. He used chrome and made it look like the red tails of Tuskegee. Sharp looking bird.

Plane fly's awesome when he can keep the engine running. He dropped a DLE 55 for the 60 when he recovered it. I think he may have junk in the carb.

Last edited:

camss69

70cc twin V2
Got some help from some little 6 year old hands tonight. Way easier to reach in and start the zip ties. Got 2 out of 3 satellite receivers mounted and the main part of the infinity receiver. Made up the pushrod for the air valve and set the throws on the retract servo. Patched one of the two known areas of covering that need to be patched. I've been trying to spend an hour a day on it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 620

camss69

70cc twin V2
Got the last satellite receiver mounted tonight. The DMSS receivers have the 6" wire with the antenna at the tip so I had to figure out how to mount them. They are all mounted and as neat as I could make them. Next up is the rudder installation, again it has a bunch of rub marks from being in the plastic bags. I waxed it a couple times and got most of it out. One area it went through the covering. I trial fit it, screwed the antenna in and set the solid canopy on it to get an idea of how it's going to look.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 598

camss69

70cc twin V2
Installed the rudder tonight. Glued in the rudder hinges and setup the linkage and pushrod. All the linkages for the plane are internal except for the ailerons. This tail area is going to be really busy. The elevator pushrod linkages, rudder, tailwheel retract and tailwheel steering cables all go back there. The recommeded high rate throws are 2 - 5/32" on high rate... Pretty exact there Hangar 9, I set mine to 2 -1/2"...on all rates.

Next up is the stabs/elevators... I trial fit the tubes tonight, they have you epoxy the tubes in and then epoxy the stabs onto the tubes/fuse... I figured this would be a good place to stop tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 559
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 587

camss69

70cc twin V2
Stab tubes and stabs glued on today, good news is they fit really nice and tight, no gaps. Started making up the battery lead extensions. Going to work on getting the elevators hinged and installed the rest of tonight/tomorrow. The parts box and number of pieces on the shelf for the plane are getting noticeably smaller now. It's starting to look like a Corsair!

Last edited: