• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair Build

camss69

70cc twin V2
Elevators hinged, pushrods and linkages installed. Even the pushrods are heavy, the ones for the elevators are 45" long! Had to run to the LHS and buy some less heavy duty servo arms, the ones I bought were too big to clear the side of the fuse. 10 bucks and the problem was solved. Set the throws for the elevators and fit the tail cone. The tail cone has a slot for a tail hook. I saw on one of the threads that H9 was thinking about making a tail hook for it. I think that would be pretty cool.

I started looking at the tailwheel... It has a spring-shock doo-hicky that is SUPER stiff. I heard H9 doesn't loc-tite anything on it and people have been dropping their tail wheels in flight. I disassembled the shock and the spring in there was total junk. Looks like it was too long so they bent it to fit it in there and it was so stiff you could hardly compress it by hand. I ran down to OSH and for $1.80 I got a spring that's about half as stiff (still stiff enough) and actually fits. Put it all back together with loc-tite and it seems to function much better now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 764
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 836
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 764
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 765
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 801

camss69

70cc twin V2
A couple of weeks ago when I was in San Diego for work I ended up with most of Friday free before my plane left at 5:00. So I decided to go to the USS Midway museum. I was in the Navy so the actual ship wasn't anything new, I was there to see the planes. There was a Corsair, here are the pics I took.

There's been some debate on if Corsairs were shiny on the Corsair threads. They were apparently delivered shiny and weathered quickly to be dull. This one was shiny, I'm going to leave mine shiny.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 762
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 765
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 708
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 774
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 742
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 733
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 755
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 750
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 715
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 664

camss69

70cc twin V2
Spent the evening figuring out how to program the xbus gear door servos. I need to mount the Xport Duo soon and once I do the connections for the xbus input, xbus output and switch are going to be difficult to get to. So... I figured now would be the time to program the xbus 4 servo converter cable for the 4 gear door servos in case I go that route. It was actually really simple and worked exactly how I thought it would. The Xport Duo is a very flexible device.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 785
M

Matt

I really like your corsair build... I got to fly one in North Carolina they fly great!
Now looking at the pics from the air meuseum... When is someone going to do a nice giant scale skyraider... The only options are ziroli which is small and esm used to have one..

camss69

70cc twin V2
Thanks!!

I've seen a couple ESM planes in person and they seem to be pretty nice. They had a cool looking P-39 but doesn't look like you can get it anymore. I'm waiting to see what Extreme Flight does with their Warbird line. Hopefully they do some different stuff, a Skyraider would be cool!

camss69

70cc twin V2
Took a run at the tailwheel installation tonight. The steering is setup with a set of pull-pull cables and then the retract mechanism is pushrod actuated off a pneumatic cylinder. I started making up the ends of the cables on the tailwheel side first. Just following the instructions. The heat shrink they give you is way too big, I had some the right size. Ran the cables and pushrod through the fuse. Then temporarily installed the tailwheel unit, it fits pretty tight but no prob. Hooked up the cables and threaded the rod in. Then went to thread the rod onto the air cylinder, no go. I look at it and it's threaded for 2-56 not 4-40! After checking what I ordered from Horizon was right, I'll be calling them tomorrow and see if they will send me the right one.

Also can't seem to get a hold of my vinyl guy..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 757
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 763
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 752
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 728

camss69

70cc twin V2
IT'S RAINING! We've been in a drought the last several years and rain has been pretty scarce in Nor-Cal so it was nice to work in the garage to the sound of the rain! It's been dumping most of the day.

Horizon is sending me the right air cylinder. At first they didn't want to send it because I ordered it almost a year ago. Their return policy is 30 days. I can see their point and if they didn't send I would understand. But I did verify I ordered the part they said and after they looked at my account and saw all the stuff I've ordered from them the guy had no problem sending it.

I installed the six bolts for the tailwheel installation to make it permanent. I made up the servo end of the pull-pull cables for the tailwheel steering and installed the small hatch covering the forward part of the tailwheel retract. The retract mechanism and the steering work very well.

I also got a hold of my Vinyl guy, turns out his webpage got hacked and he changed his email address.... I picked the decals I want him to copy and am going to send them off to him tomorrow to duplicate. I'm also doing a custom number 157. My ship in the Navy was CG-57 so I've kind of stuck with the number.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 757
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 677

camss69

70cc twin V2
Got a few more parts off the bench and into the plane tonight. I usually try to do a nice clean install. This plane, even though it's a 60cc has just a ton of stuff in a really small space. The air cylinder from Horizon came in today. Same part number as I ordered before except this one fits 4-40 packaging and everything was the same. Looks like it was a Robart error putting the wrong part in the bag. Got it all installed and the pushrod adjusted. Then I permanently installed the retract air valve and servo assembly. Finished up all the pneumatic lines on the fuselage side and installed the dummy scale exhaust, which looks really cool IMO.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 730
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 750
Last edited: