• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 3.1M Sukhoi

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Will do. I save too much crap. But "sometimes"....it comes in handy. I have a cover that is the exact shape of the full scale. It should look pretty cool. Just have to match the paint. :)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well, three weeks later...I finally got around to "tinkering" with the Sukhoi. I had thought I had a cover that would be a match for the full scale tail gear fairing. Alas, I did not. So... I made one. After drawing out a reasonably close pattern on paper, I then transferred that pattern to a 7.6x11 sheet of .20 thousands thick plastic sheet picked up at the LHS. After a little trimming here, and a little cut there...I finally had the basic shape I was looking for. Once fitted to the fuse and was satisfied with the overall looks, I used 600 grit sandpaper to remove any blemishes and I taped the shaped plastic into place. Marked my holes of where I wanted to drill for the button head screws to be. Before removing it, I used my heat gun to heat the plastic just a tad...not much, just enough to warm it so that it would conform to the shape I wanted. Holes drilled, now it was time for a little paint which was acquired from Walmart to match pretty closely to the original covering. Thanks to 2robinhood for the guidance on the paint.
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif
Once that paint was dry enough to the touch, It was time to attach the new fairing to the bottom of the fuse. I used Du-Bro No. 525, No. 2 x 3/8" Button Head Sheet Metal Screws. After applying just a "dot" of 560, (canopy glue) to each hole in the fuse, I then layed the fairing in place and inserted the 25 screws to secure it into place. It really did turn out much nicer than I had envisioned. Not absolutely perfect, (fuse of the full scale is slightly different than the H-9), but I thought it looked pretty good. 

Here's a link showing images of the full scale in which I used for duplication. I've attached a picture of the full scale I used for reference in duplication.
images3.jpg

Pattern.jpg

Pattern-fit.jpg

taped-fairing.jpg

Fairing-fit.jpg

fuse-holes.jpg

drilled-fairing.jpg

drilled-and-painted-fairing.jpg

glued-fuse-holes.jpg

fairing-fitted.jpg

fairing-fitted-2.jpg

fairing-fitted-3.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
20141002_183112.jpg

20141002_183124.jpg

Thanks guys.... A little less grime on the tail gear will be nice for sure. Was seriously going after the "look". Now since I have extra sheets of the plastic and more on order...which by the way is the same stuff I used to baffle the 3dub in my 260, I will be using the same stuff to baffle the engine on the Sukhoi. Hey, I even have matching paint for the baffle. LOL

I received my cooling louvers for the bottom of the fuselage from Taildragger... Can't decide if I want to keep them in the shiny gloss black they are already painted, or paint them Orange as well like 2robinhood did on his Sukhoi. Opinions?

Super08

70cc twin V2
Personally I think they look fine black, plus it will be less work. Not that you are worried about that. You have been doing a great job on it. Something like that is just a personal taste thing and what feels best for you.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Super08 said
Personally I think they look fine black, plus it will be less work. Not that you are worried about that. You have been doing a great job on it. Something like that is just a personal taste thing and what feels best for you.
I also like the black. When I talked to Chad at TDRC, he told me all the straight aluminum louvers were out of stock and all he had in that size were the black ones.... I figured, Ah what the heck, it might offset the fuse. Really glad I got them. Thanks by the way for the comment. I do have a tendency to be a bit anal. LOL