• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Tonight I set the Extra aside to check over my scratch build after it's maiden Sunday, but here are a few pictures of some of the work I did to it over the weekend.

Hangar 9 mounted the tank behind the wingtube, but with my tank the outlets point directly into the tube, so I decided to move it to the front, like every other airplane. I needed to make a mount, but I saw one for sale online, and I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not sure it's going to stay, but for now I'll use it.
20170625_174858_resized.jpg
20170625_174844_resized.jpg

Since nothing seems to be easy on this project, why should installing a fuel dot. They have a spot above the wing in the front, but there isn't enough room for the fuel dot I'm using. The only way to do it was to fill in one of the switch holes, and put it there.

The Secraft fuel dots just use an O ring to hold them in, but this one barely had room for the O ring so I had to cut a grove in it to hold the O ring. I did it by hand with small files.

20170625_213204_resized.jpg
20170625_212642_resized.jpg
20170625_220501_resized.jpg
20170626_203557_resized.jpg
20170626_205530_resized.jpg
20170626_210040_resized.jpg
20170626_210054_resized.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Interesting tank holder. Not sure I have ever seen one of those. I really..."REALLY" wanted one of these when they were released not all that long ago. Now? Ha...! Not sure you could give me one. Dang, sure a lot of goofy things they did with that in my opinion. Question: What about the second larger hole next to the smaller hole in the side of the fuse behind the second former? For what it is worth, I have done what you did also. Made a plate to glue in and then drilled the hole for my fuel dot.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Interesting tank holder. Not sure I have ever seen one of those. I really..."REALLY" wanted one of these when they were released not all that long ago. Now? Ha...! Not sure you could give me one. Dang, sure a lot of goofy things they did with that in my opinion. Question: What about the second larger hole next to the smaller hole in the side of the fuse behind the second former? For what it is worth, I have done what you did also. Made a plate to glue in and then drilled the hole for my fuel dot.
Unfortunately the dot I wanted to use was too big in diameter on the outside to fit between the wing and hatch in that spot.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it looks like Horizon discontinued the airplane, a chat rep confirmed this.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/extra-300-x-35-arf-p-han9225
I think we have another case of big company syndrome and one hand at Horizon isn't sure what the other one is doing. Someone on another forum talked to Ali yesterday and he said it's just backordered and will be back in about 6 weeks. Their website has been changed to backordered as well.

Hopefully they will kick the quality control people at the factory in the butt and fix it.

BalsaDust

I think we have another case of big company syndrome and one hand at Horizon isn't sure what the other one is doing. Someone on another forum talked to Ali yesterday and he said it's just backordered and will be back in about 6 weeks. Their website has been changed to backordered as well.

Hopefully they will kick the quality control people at the factory in the butt and fix it.
They have had this issue on many other Hangar 9 planes. the P3 Bipe from what I heard flew amazing but was an absolute piece of crap in the quality of how it was put together.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I see the tank holder but do not understand how it works or I am looking at it wrong. I guess I will find out when it is installed then it will make sense.
If I my make a comment about quality control from the business I was in it is very difficult to control quality coming from China. But the bottom line is money talks, if it is not up the standard you paid for and have it in the contract they do not get paid end of story. But if you have nickel and dime them down to nothing then you get what you paid for. I know from experience.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
My I please ask you a question I have just painted my mishap on my Decathlon with Stits paint I would like give it a wax job to try and make shiny like the rest of the plane how long do I have to wait before I can wax it sorry for the intrusion.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
My I please ask you a question I have just painted my mishap on my Decathlon with Stits paint I would like give it a wax job to try and make shiny like the rest of the plane how long do I have to wait before I can wax it sorry for the intrusion.
I've never used Stits, so anything I say will be pure guess work, but most paints don't like wax for at least a month. But, you could use a polishing glaze of some kind, kind of like a very fine rubbing compound.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I've never used Stits, so anything I say will be pure guess work, but most paints don't like wax for at least a month. But, you could use a polishing glaze of some kind, kind of like a very fine rubbing compound.
Thanks I will have to wait for a month that is going to be hard. The rest of the plane is 15 or 16 years old with a number of wax jobs on it, o well just have wait for a month. Thanks for the help.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Last night after putting the nose art on my scratch build "Miss Moana" I got the Extra back on the bench and worked on a few things.

Before I can install the fuel system I need to finish off my canister mount. I test mounted it last night and it worked out great. I still need to do a few finishing touches on the mount itself before it's installed for good.
I also included a picture of the tank mount when I was test fitting it. The black bushings you see at the top of the front and rear of the mount are for making the vent tube loop.

20170628_232022_resized.jpg
20170628_220659_resized.jpg