• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Doug, no such luck. I only have two sets. You are probably going to want more than two hinges. LOL. But....here is the sweet spot. Chief has them. They are $3.95 per set. I am not certain how many come in a package. I think the last time I ordered some to replace on another plane, there were like ten sets to a package. You could give Chief a call and talk to Steve Campbell. He would know for sure. They are the original SD models hinges. As far as I am concerned, the best on the planet. My 13 year old and "HUNDREDS" of flights SD 260 (Baby) still has the original hinges in her and they are like brand new. I don't think you can wear these things out. They just may be what the doctor ordered.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/sdm-sd-207.html

capthis

70cc twin V2
I used those robart unassembled hinges for the first time in my Carden yak. They worked really well.
84931.jpeg

Alky6

150cc
Do you remember what size wire they took? I cant find the hole size in the information for them and I'd like to order some wire when I order the hinges.
Doug:
The piano wire size is on the packaging with hinges (unfortunately not on Robart's website). I don't remember the size, used them on my 35% JTEC. If you don't get an answer back earlier, I will check tonight when I get home and get you the size.

Edit: Believe it is .062" but again, will verify tonight.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Doug:
The piano wire size is on the packaging with hinges (unfortunately not on Robart's website). I don't remember the size, used them on my 35% JTEC. If you don't get an answer back earlier, I will check tonight when I get home and get you the size.

Edit: Believe it is .062" but again, will verify tonight.
I had taken the pin out of an assembled one last night and a #53 drill fits in the hole and a #52 didn't. A #53 is .0595 so it may be .062 wire.

capthis

70cc twin V2
I can look too when I get home. I took the hinge into the local HS and picked out the wire that fit.

I didn't even know you could buy them like that till Cam sowed them in one of his build threads.

Alky6

150cc
OK. K&S piano wire sizes #503 (.055") and #504 (.062"). .055" is sloppy in the unassembled hinges. .062" is a nice slight interference fit. Works perfect. The #504 (.062") is what I used. Hinges rotate easy with no slop.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
OK. K&S piano wire sizes #503 (.055") and #504 (.062"). .055" is sloppy in the unassembled hinges. .062" is a nice slight interference fit. Works perfect. The #504 (.062") is what I used. Hinges rotate easy with no slop.
Thanks!