• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

GSN GIVE-A-WAY Hangar 9 35% Extra 300X Assembly

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Who was the designer of this extra? Just seems crazy that he would say that was within tolerance. With the straight edge on the hump it's pretty obvious to me and the aileron being that far off should have never passed QC.

That gap between the cowl and hatch would drive me nuts. Is it possible to slide the cowl back further to make up the gap???

I don't think your being to picky at all. Yes you won this plane so it was free to you but if I had dropped $1200 for an airframe plus whatever shipping ends up being I would expect better than this especially from a major player in the game like Hangar 9. Heck when I won the PAU Sukhoi on here a couple years back when I got it the cowl was slightly damaged in shipping. I asked Herve what paint code the red was as I was just gonna repair it. He still insisted on sending me a new cowl. Also the fit and finish on that plane was top notch other than some minor massaging of some joints to get the landing gear to fit. Maybe @capthis can chime in as I think he has one of these extras as well.
From what I take from my phone conversation a couple of weeks ago with Doug B. from Horizon the guy in charge of this project is Ali Machinchy. He was going to show the wing to him, so I'm guessing he's the designer more or less.

The cowl can't move back and the hatch is where it needs to be, so I'm going to need to extend and repaint the hatch to fix the gap. One guys was so bad the pins in the front weren't engaged correctly and the front of it blew off in flight.

The fact the Herve made your cowl issue right doesn't surprise me at all. He and Tony from Pilot both seem to get involved and fix issues. I'm sure they can't please everyone, but at least they make an effort.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It only makes you wonder how bad it is under the covering in areas that you cannot see.
You just hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. What happened under that wing sheeting to cause the lump? Is it something structural? Is it safe? It's probably not going to snap off in flight, but why would they take the risk? Obviously they didn't care what I was going to say here on GSN. They knew I won the airplane here, and that I was doing a thread on it. I even sent the guy a link to this thread. If I was in their shoes I would have replaced the wing and the hatch just from a public relations standpoint. To be thought of as a "stand up guy" goes a long way in this hobby.

The first time I looked at the wing I wondered just how many people saw the lump before it got to me. Whoever sheeted it had to see it, whoever covered it had to see it, if they have a quality control person they had to see it, yeah I laughed when I typed that, and whoever packed it probably saw it too. Now several guys from Horizon, including the "designer" have seen it too and thought it was fine, or "within specs" to quote them.
It sure makes me wonder just what lies under the rest of the covering that I can't see.

Xtreme_Power_RCS

Staff member
You just hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. What happened under that wing sheeting to cause the lump? Is it something structural? Is it safe? It's probably not going to snap off in flight, but why would they take the risk? Obviously they didn't care what I was going to say here on GSN. They knew I won the airplane here, and that I was doing a thread on it. I even sent the guy a link to this thread. If I was in their shoes I would have replaced the wing and the hatch just from a public relations standpoint. To be thought of as a "stand up guy" goes a long way in this hobby.

The first time I looked at the wing I wondered just how many people saw the lump before it got to me. Whoever sheeted it had to see it, whoever covered it had to see it, if they have a quality control person they had to see it, yeah I laughed when I typed that, and whoever packed it probably saw it too. Now several guys from Horizon, including the "designer" have seen it too and thought it was fine, or "within specs" to quote them.
It sure makes me wonder just what lies under the rest of the covering that I can't see.
Hey, is it the right wing? Get back to me ASAP may have found one

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Man that is disappointing after all that HH told you it is ok. What are you going to do. Strip the wing and see what you have or just fly it and hope for the best. If the wing is bad you could lose a lot of good equipment. Tough choice to make.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Man that is disappointing after all that HH told you it is ok. What are you going to do. Strip the wing and see what you have or just fly it and hope for the best. If the wing is bad you could lose a lot of good equipment. Tough choice to make.
I'll probably try it the way it is, but I won't know until I see what kind of shape it's in after FedEx gets done kicking it around on the trip back. My experience with FedEx has not been very good over the years. It could be broke in half before it gets here. I can only imagine what a pain in the A$$ dealing with that would be. But the way this has been going it's almost inevitable.

capthis

70cc twin V2
Maybe @capthis can chime in as I think he has one of these extras as well.

Yeah I paid good money for this plane, and I haven't yet finished it up. When all of this started coming up I kind of quit working on it. It makes me wish I would of just gotten an extreme flight but I wanted this one as I like the foam wings.

HH did send me a new canopy and I had to call multiple times to get a hardware set that actually had the right length of pushrods for the elevators.

I have spent a ton on this model, DA 120, all new Hitec 7955's on the controls, with a 7990 on the rudder, new 12120 Rx, lipos, so I need to finish it p and just fly it.