• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Group Build, 20cc Profile ARF, Who's In?

BalsaDust

Honestly if you go electric I think you would be happier going with a 6S or 8S setup. Either way you could go cheap on the batteries by using two 3S lipos for a 6S setup or two 4S lipos for a 8S setup.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i actually have a ton of 6S 6000 mah batteries and some 8000 mah as well. 25-50C discharge rating though, might not be high enough for an airplane, gotta look into that

BalsaDust

image.jpg

To help out a bit this is what one of the probro designer recommends for a electric setup on one of his 20cc designs. By the way this guy really knows his stuff

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
huh, that motor in the package Mike linked to is 1250 watts...have you flown any electric slabs Chris?

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Biggest electric slab I have right now is my stix41 which is only a 41" wingspan. I know of quite a few electric. Slabs though that are in the 20cc size range that the guys have gone off the designers recommendation and they have what we call bro powa. Basically so much power that it will help get you out of trouble and every time you bunch out of a hover it will give you the biggest grin on your face. I will do some more research tonight and find out what other setups people are using.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
ok, well, the goal would be to have the right amount of power and still be affordable. if gys want to go with more then they can always do that but for a group build if we're going to make it affordable for people following along with our choices then we need to be reasonable in what we recommend. there will always be side discussions about what other options there are but for whatever becomes the recommended package it should be strong enough to fly well but "bro power" probably isn't necessary...lol

BalsaDust

If you run a setup from hobby king I think you could have to whole e power setup for somewhere around the 225-250 range.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
HI guys, I'm going to go ahead and order one of these airframes today in order to have a look at it and plan my build. I may go electric but I'm not sure if I'll try the package that RedwingRC is selling or if I'll go the budget route and pick my own components.

I'll post everything as I go but we'll probably discuss the electric power options in a different thread. The package that RedwingRC sells has a Castle Creations ESC and a Hacker motor, both are premium products. The problem is, I'm not a premium kind of guy when it comes to a plane I'll be learning some advanced stick banging on. Plus, I'm trying to do a lot of other things at the moment in order to move the sites along so money is tight. I think you guys will appreciate a few options that range from least expensive to top shelf power like what Redwing has put together but we'll take that up in a separate thread. If you want to go with electric power you'll be able to just go to that thread and read it through before making your own decisions.

If you're trying to follow along and you're new to bigger RC planes, stop me at any time to ask a question. If I can't answer it then we'll find someone that can. If I have to I'll shoot a quick video explaining it.

Lastly, keep in mind the old saying "There is more than one way to skin a cat". If I do something a little differently than what y'all might do, let's discuss it....I would love to learn from you guys as much as I'd love to help a few people learn something new. Let's cover the differences in how we do things so in the end we'll all build a better airplane!

Order is being placed today, not sure which one I'll be going with or if I'll be doing much in the way of mods to it. I was thinking that it might be cool to make the fuselage look like a P-40 Warhawk (with acro style covering on the wings!) but I don't think I'll have time to strip the fuselage, re-shape it, and then recover it. Who knows though, I can't always say what I may or may not do late at night if I had too much coffee during the day!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
very nice, very nice. what is 1000WHP though?

edit....1000WHP isn't related to the plane, you're a car guy, no? 1000 horsepower at the wheels? in which car?