• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Group Build, 20cc Profile ARF, Who's In?

BalsaDust

I got out tonight for two flights on mine, just over 40 minutes of flight time on two tanks of fuel!!! Had a good time with zero wind, doing full harrier circles with the tail tickling alfalfa the whole way around. I was doing torque rolls in with the rudder in the alfalfa and having a good time. I fly it mainly on low rates so it flies more like "an airplane" and it's easy to do rollers just above grass level. Didn't get any video so I have no proof of said antics :cool:

I do believe I need to see video of you flying a slab.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!

I just updated it to show the ESC I ended up using. By mistake I ordered an opto ESC (no BEC) so I had to grab another with the BEC so I wouldn't need a separate flight pack for the servos.

With the Hitec Optima 9 receiver I'll have the one big pack for the motor also going to the SPC port to power the receiver and so the battery voltage will display on the radio. The ESC also plugs into the receiver for motor control and supplies 5.5 volt power for the servos.

With an opto ESC there's no BEC (voltage regulator) and so no voltage in the red servo wire, hence, no power for servos or receiver. You guys probably knew that but I figured I'd explain it for anyone that is completely new to electrics.

Bart

pawnshopmike

Staff member
i might be a little light on power, won't know until it flies. could def use some more weight in the nose, the battery is way forward of where I thought it would end up

That's a problem I've run into several times when installing electric power on an airframe that was designed for gas/nitro. Always seem to make it work by mounting everything as far forward as possible. Thought I was going to have to hang the battery on the prop of an old Eindeker I converted from nitro to electric. Had to mount the ESC right beside the motor on the outside of the fuse and the battery up against the firewall. It flew great till I stalled it and piled it up. I still miss that plane.:(

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well, I tried my darndest to turn this thing inside out but was not successful. I have a great time with it when there is not wind but it is slightly more challenging to fly with wind. Had a good time with it tonight and scared @thelaw a few times. 20 minute flights to I told LAW to take some clips an I joined them together.

Enjoy:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
That flight seemed like it lasted for ever.

I know! 20 minutes of banging the sticks is a long time! I need to remove my tailwheel and just put a little wire or something, I just can't shake the tail heavy.....especially when you are landing and the gas is almost gone.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
terry, i was planning to just use the aluminum tailwheel bracket without the rest of the tailwheel hardware. the bracket itself is heavy but the whole tailwheel assembly isn't really necessary, IMHO :)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
terry, i was planning to just use the aluminum tailwheel bracket without the rest of the tailwheel hardware. the bracket itself is heavy but the whole tailwheel assembly isn't really necessary, IMHO :)

I didn't use the stock bracket, I have a wheel from a larger plane because the stock one was kind of a joke. Wire skid would be better considering you are not likely to taxi this plane much.