• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Freestyle Routine Music

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Ok, so I spend lots of time picking apart songs on a big list to make one. Let's take a 3 minute routine. My suggestion is to be a true all around great freestyle you need to be fast and slow. Mix it up between 3-5 songs (3 minute routine). Then once I have the music I just listen to it a lot. Pick out certain parts of the song in which you know you want to do something to a certain beat or bang. I don't know why, but I call them hit spots.

So say I have 3 "hit" spots in 3 minutes. I know at the first spot I was to do a crank shaft, second spot I want to do a blender (blenders are great in slow songs) and third a pop top. I then start working stuff around that and decide what can lead up to the main hits. It just takes time and each routine gets better. One thing is in a song you need to know where you need to be in the box at certain points. So if I need to be on the north side of the box and I'm running behind you can really get on the throttle to get where you need to be.

People to really watch are Seth, Daniel, Jason Noll and a few others. Study their stuff like you are in school. Then just practice.

All great advice. Thanks. It is school. I think many pilots think "just put some music on and fly". That's fun but not often repeatable!

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
True. It takes a lot of time and passion to make a decent one. Once you start doing it, you realize how great pilots like daniel, jase, joe and all those guys really are.

dth7

True. It takes a lot of time and passion to make a decent one. Once you start doing it, you realize how great pilots like daniel, jase, joe and all those guys really are.

Amen! I'm going to add my friend Cody to your list of "others"!

3dcarter

50cc
What I do is this:

Step 1: think about a rough outline, i.e. Slow to fast or fast to slow.. Etc. I outline my stuff very much like Jase Dussia and Daniel Holman, for there stuff is wonderful. I try to start off with something that doesn't have lyrics.
Step 2: scroll through a huge list of music, listening to songs that fit whatever you want. Perhaps 70's to 80's rock for faster music. Whenever you listen to a song, envision what maneuvers you can do to fly to it. Whenever I have down time, I go through what maneuvers I can do with my plane by using my hand. It's quite helpful.
Step 3: narrow down the music you're going to use, and roughly piece it together. Get the songs you want and decide the order in which you want to fly to them.
Step 4: decide where you want the music to end, and decide how you want it to transition to the next part. That in my opinion, is the hardest part about it.
Step 5: try and make the music flow as well as possible
Step 6: put it in an MP3 player, and go to the field with an earbud in, and fly to the music. Come up with ways you can fly to it all while no one can hear it.

Then, perfect it. Easier said than done. I'm working on step 6, and I'll get some video when I have it down. Hope this helps!

dth7

What I do is this:

Step 1: think about a rough outline, i.e. Slow to fast or fast to slow.. Etc. I outline my stuff very much like Jase Dussia and Daniel Holman, for there stuff is wonderful. I try to start off with something that doesn't have lyrics.
Step 2: scroll through a huge list of music, listening to songs that fit whatever you want. Perhaps 70's to 80's rock for faster music. Whenever you listen to a song, envision what maneuvers you can do to fly to it. Whenever I have down time, I go through what maneuvers I can do with my plane by using my hand. It's quite helpful.
Step 3: narrow down the music you're going to use, and roughly piece it together. Get the songs you want and decide the order in which you want to fly to them.
Step 4: decide where you want the music to end, and decide how you want it to transition to the next part. That in my opinion, is the hardest part about it.
Step 5: try and make the music flow as well as possible
Step 6: put it in an MP3 player, and go to the field with an earbud in, and fly to the music. Come up with ways you can fly to it all while no one can hear it.

Then, perfect it. Easier said than done. I'm working on step 6, and I'll get some video when I have it down. Hope this helps!

Carter, that is great! Thanks so much for contributing. I like the steps. I seem to go 1,2,3,4,5,6666666666666...then an infinite amount of time at "perfect it"! Lol. It works out real nice in my head! Haha.
Thanks again.

3dcarter

50cc
Carter, that is great! Thanks so much for contributing. I like the steps. I seem to go 1,2,3,4,5,6666666666666...then an infinite amount of time at "perfect it"! Lol. It works out real nice in my head! Haha.
Thanks again.

i know how you feel... i can string the stuff together... ONCE. I'm having trouble doing the same things over and over

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Great thread guys. Do you guys ever practice on the sim? \

Last edited by a moderator:

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I need more practice. It seems like I get frustrated with trying new moves and not being able to get the stick inputs correct, and then I just screw around for a while. Sometimes it gets frustrating for me watching people like [MENTION=1185]cardenflyer[/MENTION] make things look so effortless and smooth.:D

Last edited by a moderator: