• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Flying Withdraws Winter Sucks

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Our weather is usually cold and snow, which can be fun. This year has been ridiculous. My only gripe is the money. Propane hit $4.40/gal. It is usually $1.79/gal. That really hurts and I am slightly better off than most in my area. It is really dragging people down.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Our weather is usually cold and snow, which can be fun. This year has been ridiculous. My only gripe is the money. Propane hit $4.40/gal. It is usually $1.79/gal. That really hurts and I am slightly better off than most in my area. It is really dragging people down.

are they price gouging?

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
There are many things I hate about California, weather is not one of them, this is the first week in the last 12 months that I have not been out fly at least 2 days out of the week due to weather

Next year we're coming to bunk with you buddy! What's the guest room situation? Really, a cot under a lean-to would be better than this mess!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I would be out flying too if I could get the time. My work has gotten REALLY busy.

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
supposedly, the michigan attorney general is monitoring the situation. the governor lifted weight restrictions to allow larger propane trucks into the state as well. but, with so much of the country in a deep freeze, supply is down and demand is up. i heard there was an issue with a pipeline malfunction/ shutdown also. i'm not sure where. there have been news reports of people using electric space heaters because they can't afford propane. some of these people lost their homes to fire started by the space heaters

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
I would be out flying too if I could get the time. My work has gotten REALLY busy.

I hear ya 3dNater. This will be the last Two-day weekend I see for a long time. the phone is blowing up. People tell me that it's a good problem to have. And they're right. But c'mon. it's getting to be fly time

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Unfortunately no. Like hopper said, there was a shortage. It was caused by trucking issues. Most of the propane comes by rail. Demand almost doubled and they cant increase shipments by more than about 25%. So they started running more trucks. They lifted restrictions on the amount of time they could drive to try and help. It is almost back to normal now. It was $1700 to heat from Dec 23 to Feb 1. 150 gal of propane at $4:40 a gal with tax an fees was over $700! That is a min fill that will last 2-3 weeks in sub zero temps. In a normal winter that would be under $300 and last a month. So the whole midwest from minnesota to main down into maybe kentucky is hurting from heating costs.

Last edited by a moderator: