• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA Announces their rules for radio controlled aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I read that stupid faa link. They show a picture of a quad copter. I will play stupid on this one. It doesn't say big smokey edge, so I am not going to worry about it until AMA says I fly an "Anmanned Aerial System". Then, I will sever my ties with the ama.

I can't find it now but somewhere I saw it written that "ignorance is not an excuse for non compliance". Blasted, they cover all avenues!!! Short of the registration process which less painful than a flu shot, those of us in the midwest with smaller clubs will probably suffer much less than those by larger areas as far as compliance checks, etc.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
AMA letter just came through E-mail. For those of you that have it go to junk mail, I'll post it:

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.
Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.
While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:
  • All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
  • Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
  • You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
  • You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
  • The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
  • There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
  • You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
  • We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
  • At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week. However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.
Thank you,
AMA Government Relations and Advocacy Team

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
AMA members should have been automatically registered using their AMA numbers, just a common sense move. The problem with that is "common sense" is not that common, especially when dealing with a government agency.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I looked up the definition of small unmanned aircraft vehicles and they are drones. They use video or gps to fly and cannot comply with the "see and avoid" rule. The faa link to register shows a "drone" in a picture. It also refers to drones a few times. I think it is a poorly written law but I think it is for multirotor's.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
What we fly is model aircraft which is not mentioned anywhere in the law. There are many fixed wing drones. If I put gps and fpv on my planes, then it would fall under the suav catagory. Thats the way I read it. They will clarify eventually.

not sure if i should laugh or cry, or just censor/ban the word REGISTRATION for a few months

I'm going to try to have faith in the AMA and trust that they are working on this on our behalf.
@Bartman,

Why would you assume that.

The AMA has been COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE and they do not warrant our support.

They are going to acquiesce instead of fighting like they should.

Does anybody know the deadline when lack of registration will be a violation?

BJ Swope

Status
Not open for further replies.