• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA Announces their rules for radio controlled aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komet163

50cc
witchfinger that is incorrect it address registration of sUAS or small umanned aircraft system. remember we are dealing with govt lawyers writing regulations, they have decided that we do not and cannot register these sUAS under faa reg part 47 which is full sized aircraft certification and registration. and they are writing a new reg, part48, for all sUAS as defined in public law 112-95 sec 336 capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere. I don't like this anymore than anyone else but 30 plus yrs dealing with faa I have learned to read and understand faa regs. The real kicker in this whole process is not registration for that is painless, sign up, not individual sUAs registration. It is the enforcement process as the faa does not have the man power to completely do general aviation oversight, mainly commercial, ie airlines, aircharter repair stations, endeavor's. Also keep in mind that the faa can only violate a faa held certificate, ie pilot's lisc, mechanic certificate etc. everything else has to be done thru civilian processes

Komet163

50cc
Yes it is boiling the frog and yes it is jackbooting, so will DHS be the enforcing party or local law enforcement. The catch"22" is as I stated in sec 336 of the public law 112-95, endangerment of National Airspace system

I agree with Herve ; The $5.00 registration is the least of the problems: once they realize that it did nothing to solve the drone problems, the noose will get tighter, including on us as a side effect.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Not doing it... Once you register the FAA knows you fly and when they realize that registration doesn't work and they want to pass down more Bull Sh*t laws they will already know you fly.

Not to mention the precedent with registration is set, it is all about money. In the full scale world it went from $50 per airplane to, in some states, more than $100 PER SEAT. It is only a matter of time that $5 every 3 years turns into $20 a year then $20 an airframe and beyond.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
They can fine me if they want. I will not register anything. These people can all be removed by voting the right people into office. If not, I can find other hobbies. Not a big deal.

-Rick-

100cc
And we Canadians are **** out of luck if we want to come down for a visit with our planes, only US citizens can apply for the FAA permit. So we can't fly legally.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well that is a bunch of Horse s#!t. On bullet point #4 I now have to "create" a hatch to access the number on several of my birds! My GP Ultimate has no hatch in that it is an old school glow design that I have upgraded to a 50cc gasser. Where in the hell am I going to put the hatch?:very_angry:

Psssst, under the canopy is clearly visible.......no hatch required:way_to_go:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't care if it costs me $100 a year or even more. I pay three times that to license a car that sits in my garage except for about 1000 miles a year.........plus another $700+ to insure it.............could care less about the fee for flying my model aircraft. Care less about registering process, giving someone my name and even putting number under canopy...

The part that I absolutely cannot wrap my brain around is that I am now considered the same as a damn "Drone". THAT pisses me off.

sweetpea

100cc
Not all planes allow inside the canopy...especially once built.

Here's the question. My plane...I'm registered. Can someone fly my plane or do I need them registered. What if it crashed.... My number is on the plane. What if I sell it and the number is inside a glued canopy.... Always there.

Or better yet....like all Govt programs, the database is hacked and someone uses my number for bad intentions?

Status
Not open for further replies.