• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA Announces their rules for radio controlled aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
So let me get this straight......I have to have a license to fly an rc plane, and it costs me money, but an illegal immigrant would be disenfranchised if they were forced to get a "free" id to vote??
that's not what's happening, the FAA published a new "Rule" today saying all unmanned aircraft, including RC planes, have to be registered starting in one week.

It's a free process and you register as the pilot/operator with your registration applying to all of your aircraft. There are some other requirements, we'll help to make it all clear in the coming hours/days.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
The proverbial sh!t will hit the fan as soon as someone actually manages to hit an airplane or a person, etc. I suspect they will incrementally make things more difficult for us over time. In other words, this will do nothing as the jerks that are causing this whole mess are laughing today while the rest of us (that are not causing issues) are the ones concerned for what is going to happen next......now that the window is opened for the FAA to reach us.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The proverbial sh!t will hit the fan as soon as someone actually manages to hit an airplane or a person, etc. I suspect they will incrementally make things more difficult for us over time. In other words, this will do nothing as the jerks that are causing this whole mess are laughing today while the rest of us (that are not causing issues) are the ones concerned for what is going to happen next......now that the window is opened for the FAA to reach us.

the AMA is likely going to sue to have the FAA remove recreational users removed from this requirement based on “The Special Rule for Model Aircraft in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 clearly states that the FAA is prohibited from promulgating any new rules for recreational users operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization (CBO). "

quote from the AMA's press release today.

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
I know at least 3 quad pilots that do professional photography and they are not the problem either. You can get those things at best buy now. The people that are causing the problems are neither ama nor are they going to get the stupid license. I have an ama number. I guess I fail to understand the reasoning to have another one from someone else. It is a money grab. In 3 years the fee will be $45 because of all the people they will hire to do the paperwork.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
the quads are the result of cell phones and video games. cell phones that automatically change the screen as you change the position of the phone and video games that let you use a controller that sense all sorts of motion made the sensors possible that make the quads possible. when the chinese started making sensors for cell phones and video game controllers by the millions, all of a sudden these same inexpensive sensors were available for model aircraft flight controllers. multi-rotor helicopters that were barely controllable a few years prior were all of a sudden extremely controllable and things took off from there.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Just another way for them to make money, $5 this year $10 the next $20 the year after that. It's also another database the government has with my name, address and email... oh wait I got the letter in the mail the other day that all my personal info had already been stolen so I guess who cares if they steal it more than once. If someone is going to fly where they shouldn't be flying do you think they are going to register their drone? Or put their number on it if they do? Or not claim radio failure/malfunction if they do get into some trouble?

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
the AMA is likely going to sue to have the FAA remove recreational users removed from this requirement based on “The Special Rule for Model Aircraft in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 clearly states that the FAA is prohibited from promulgating any new rules for recreational users operating within the safety guidelines of a community-based organization (CBO). "

quote from the AMA's press release today.
So I am not going to register. What that law from 2012 means is that we "ama members" that operate at an ama field are not reqired to have the faa license. If someone shows up at my club and asks to see the faa license, I show them my ama and inform them of the 2012 law. Simple.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
oh wait I got the letter in the mail the other day that all my personal info had already been stolen so I guess who cares if they steal it more than once.

i got one too!

it's free at the moment, we'll see what the faa does in the future.

if i had to guess, you won't be asked very often about being registered but if one of your planes flies away or crashes into something, you'll be asked about registration in the process of whatever investigation takes place.

if you're not registered there will probably be a fine.

it's anybody's guess as to whether or not people flying on private property will ever have to answer to anyone so long as they're not creating a hazard for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.