• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight School Episode 1: 3D Turns

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[video=youtube;bij3O0O2Ksc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bij3O0O2Ksc[/video]

Cody I just watched this on the laptop (vs. the iPhone) on full screen and man it is better with each viewing. Great slow mo and stops to hit highlights. Really fantastic job. I don't know what is better, your flying or production skill! Ya, I know guys, we all know the answer to that! Now that the days are longer maybe we can get you over to the drag strip for some flying/ filming. I may ask you a few (thousand) questions while there. Don't mind the old guy looking over your shoulder either!! LOL. Great stuff man, keep it up. Thank you.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Thanks guys!

Daren, yes it does make a big difference to see it in HD and on a computer screen. The original movie was rendered at 60 fps which looks awesome during the segments that aren't in slow-mo but Youtube cuts everything down to 30 fps.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Curious on the snap commend, specifically the full aileron.. Isn't a snap supposed to be primarily initiated with elevator and rudder, the roll should be induced by stalling one wing.. No?

Not that I'm one to talk because my snaps are rubbish!

dth7

Curious on the snap commend, specifically the full aileron.. Isn't a snap supposed to be primarily initiated with elevator and rudder, the roll should be induced by stalling one wing.. No?

Not that I'm one to talk because my snaps are rubbish!

A "classic" snap roll is a horizontal spin- stall and auto rotation induced by rudder. However, there is nothing "classic" about the design and characteristics of high performance 3 D airframes and throws! With the increased surface area of the surfaces and the huge throws plus the design capability to "fly" post stall these airframes need to be "forced" into stalls, spins and snaps. An accelerated snap on full scale airplanes or an accelerated spin will use aileron the same way opposite aileron will flatten a spin b
So, purist would argue (this is a huge contention in IMAC) that a "true" snap or spin is elevator to stall and rudder to induce auto rotation. It simply is not possible with most 3D models. They will just "mush" into an elevator. You have to "cheat" them into it.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
So, purist would argue (this is a huge contention in IMAC) that a "true" snap or spin is elevator to stall and rudder to induce auto rotation. It simply is not possible with most 3D models. They will just "mush" into an elevator. You have to "cheat" them into it.
Hope that helps.

Thanks, that really does help a lot and explains why my snaps are so inconstant.. I'm trying to do them 'old school' with elevator and rudder only.. occasional it works.

As you say, in pattern flying if you used aileron you would most likely get zero points for 'cheating'. I cant help with agreeing though because a genuine snap really is meant to be a stalled manoeuvre, as you say, just like a spin.

Steve

dth7

Thanks, that really does help a lot and explains why my snaps are so inconstant.. I'm trying to do them 'old school' with elevator and rudder only.. occasional it works.

As you say, in pattern flying if you used aileron you would most likely get zero points for 'cheating'. I cant help with agreeing though because a genuine snap really is meant to be a stalled maneuver, as you say, just like a spin.

Steve

It's tough because we are out of the realm of "true scale" when it comes to 3D and pattern airframes for that matter. So the "purists" are imposing scale techniques to (really) non scale airframes. Apples and oranges! Try some high energy snaps using elevator and aileron only then do it feeding in a little more rudder each time. You tell me what you think (presentation wise). If you want a "pure, classic" snap, lower your throws to scale, slow your speed to scale and stall it with elevator and "kick" the rudder. Even your 3 D plane will give you the snap. If you don't "scale down" all the variables it's all cheating to some!

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

I am still realatively new to the hobby and have not competed anywhere on any level (although I want to start in the next year or two) so my opinion is sure to change as I dive deeper but it seems to me like whatever makes the snap look awesome is what you should do regardless of what is traditional in scale flying.

wedoitall

I am still realatively new to the hobby and have not competed anywhere on any level (although I want to start in the next year or two) so my opinion is sure to change as I dive deeper but it seems to me like whatever makes the snap look awesome is what you should do regardless of what is traditional in scale flying.

yea I would have to totally agree. whatever looks awesome. Must be what Cody lives by, because his entire flights look awesome.