• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight School Episode 1: 3D Turns

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I am still realatively new to the hobby and have not competed anywhere on any level (although I want to start in the next year or two) so my opinion is sure to change as I dive deeper but it seems to me like whatever makes the snap look awesome is what you should do regardless of what is traditional in scale flying.

There's the rub! Our (well mine and some other's) goal to bridge the gap between the traditionalists and this crowd. This hobby has many many disciplines and each one has passionate members. Your comment is accurate if you don't want to compete and that is more than fine. Traditional competitions have specific requirements for maneuvers and during them you fly for the judges. You have seen a move for new competitions being suggested and developed. This doesn't take away from the existing events it just expands them and adapts them to the new 3D frontier.
That was the long answer. The short is fly what you like to see. If you compete try to meet the requirements for the parts of each maneuver and make the judges happy.
Btw- if you look closely at Cody's flying you will see a whole bunch of precision in what he does and that's what sets him apart. His precision background mixed with his 3 D creativity is what makes his routines such a pleasure to watch.

Carlos J

30cc
An excerpt from Scott Stoops' book:

"There will, no doubt, be some models that don't snap well with just rudder/elevator inputs. Some models do snap better (and may score better) with pro-snap aileron (aileron in the direction of the snap). For an upright snap to the left, left aileron is pro-snap. Aditionally, many pilots find that their snap rolls are easier to control and recover from cleanly using pro-snap aileron. If you find that your model is hesitant to snap with just rudder/elevator, give some pro- snap aileron a try"

Carlos J

30cc
More Scott Stoops:

"To precisely stop the snap roll, many pilots initiate recovery at aproximately the second knife-edge position, and finish the rolling motion with aileron. This can be considered "cheating" as it allows a much more precise stoppage of the roll rate with the ailerons. In reality, if it is perceived to be a snap, then it is a snap. "

Although follow the competition rules, otherwise do what the wise man says.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
More Scott Stoops:

You are being highly selective with your quotes, which doesn't give anything like proper perspective to what Scott actually says about snaps overall;)

In Scotts book 'snaps' and spins are in the same section because of their similarity (note that snaps and rolls are not placed together). Here is an extract from the introductory paragraphs on snaps, where Scott describes the fundamental attributes of what makes a snap a snap.
.. The snap roll and the spin share many characteristics, in particular they share an autorotation about the yaw and roll axis caused by a stalled wing(s) and yaw input

There is one important difference between an aileron roll and a snap roll. Aileron rolls are primarily an aileron manoeuvre with a relatively small angle of attack, while snap rolls are a rudder/elevator manoeuvre with a very high angle of attack. They both roll the aircraft through 360 degrees but that's where the similarities end.

All the transmitter stick diagrams that appears in the following 'how to snap' sections shows no use of ailerons at all.

So although Scott does later mention that some planes need some 'pro snap aileron', when taken in context with the whole section it's entirely clear that the snap is primarily a elevator/rudder manoeuvre.

whatever... i've no problem at all with people flying 'so it looks good'.. I was just curious when i saw the full aileron input on a 'how to snap' video.. But that was answered very well by dth7.

It's up to the individual to decide if it's still a snap if it uses full aileron... or is it just an aileron roll with rudder added? or doesn't it matter as long as it looks roughly like a snap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos J

30cc
I was just writing the information of what Scott Stoops wrote on his book about the use of aileron on the snap roll maneuver. Isn't that what you were talking about? Yeah, dth7 explained it very well. His explanation just remainded me of what Scott wrote about it and wanted to pass the information to you in case you haven't read it. But, since you know about it, ignore my post.

arayhorton

New to GSN!
Thanks Cody - i can't wait to get to the field and practice this. Please keep the instruction coming. Great job!!!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Ok guys, enough on snaps I think we've beaten that. If you want to really get wrapped up on it follow a few IMAC threads and mention ailerons and snap rolls. Prepare for a storm. Or check the IMAC or Pattern rules. In the mean time HUCK the hell out if those airframes.
Don't know about you but I can't wait for Cody's next installment to Extreme Flight School! If I'm a good boy maybe I'll be around for some of the filming (if he doesn't have a "closed set" lol).

Carlos J

30cc
Ok guys, enough on snaps I think we've beaten that. If you want to really get wrapped up on it follow a few IMAC threads and mention ailerons and snap rolls. Prepare for a storm. Or check the IMAC or Pattern rules. In the mean time HUCK the hell out if those airframes.

Agree.

wedoitall

I cant wait for Codys next video. been practicing everything in 1st one ALOT :D speaking of flying I better get going to the field, its a hr drive. hope everybody gets to fly today