• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight 104 Extra 300

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Need to liven up this thread a bit.

We have been iced in the past couple of days. Made it above freezing today but cold and damp. Worked a little on my Extra today; just minor stuff but needs to get done so I can check and set my starting CG.

I didn't particularly care for the covering on the instrument panel.........basically seemed a little sloppy from the factory. I removed it and added a 1/16 balsa back piece and then painted it with texture paint. I think it looks much nicer now.

Fitted in the pilot base and painted it with texture paint as well. The pilot is secured to the ply base with zip ties..........looks like an extra set of shoulder belts. The pilot is very secure; much more so than using screws through the bottom. This little assembly trick was provided by @Ohio AV8TOR.

Must be a puzzle on how to get the foam board decking into the canopy.........LOL. I cut mine in a couple of pieces and painted them with the texture paint. Tried to paint it with a very light coating but the solvent may have warped the piece that I was going to use in the forward section of the canopy. I haven't installed it yet as it may not lay and glue flat. If not I'll have to make a piece from some balsa.
Canopy Deck1.jpg
Canopy Deck.jpg
IP & Pilot.jpg
IP Front.jpg
IP Rear.jpg

Last edited:

camss69

70cc twin V2
Looks nice!

Today I replaced my cracked Fortitude tank with a PSP cap and Fiji bottle. Almost looks like the same tank. I tried contacting Fortitude and never got a response. Besides the tank cracking the clunk line was pretty stiff, and I kept fuel in it like the instructions say. Also the clunk line shrunk and the clunk was a good inch from the back of the tank..

For the Fiji bottle I used Viton on the clunk line and a heavy clunk along with a piece of brass tubing in the middle of the clunk line. It was so easy as long as it holds up this will be my tank of choice. My vent line is too short and I'll have to replace it otherwise I'd be done.

I also set the throws on the new MKS elevator servos. With the same numbers I had in there for my 8911's they were traveling 5 degrees further both up and down. I dialed them back to get back to my 50 degrees throw on the elevators.

Maybe I'll get to fly next weekend..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 346
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 343

John D.

30cc
Look'n good Capt. Roll! ...Jase and I are deep into yet another 104" extra build too!! ...building it with the big expectations of the up and coming 2015 season in mind ;)

camss69

70cc twin V2
Tested out the new tank and MKS servos today... Both worked great.. Awesome day at the field, when I left at 4:30 the truck said 79 degrees and there was maybe a 4mph wind..

This plane is just fun to fly.. It does everything you ask it to do and makes you look good..

There's currently 2 of these at my field, with a 3rd being built and possibly one more guy interested in getting one...

I'm getting ready to kind of do a "retro" 35% Extra 260 build and I think I'm going to go total MKS servos on it.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Only one thing left to do and the Extra is ready to maiden.

I need to balance the plane; the EF 104 manual says for a starting CG the plane should balance level using a rope around the wing tube. Is this with or without fuel onboard?

Also, the plane sits on the ground with the nose up about 10 degrees, I'm guessing that level means the nose should drop when you pick it up with the rope so the fuse is basically parallel with the ground plane.