• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Engine Gurus Unite -> I need HELP!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
are you sure the rings that are in there aren't stuck in their grooves from lack of use? shoot some carb cleaner in there and let it soak in to loosen them or just pull the head and look at them.

did you replace the gasket between the carb and insulator block? the gasket between the insulator block and engine case? are you sure they're both installed in the right direction? no scoring on their mounting surfaces, right?

gunk in the debris screen? pull the plate off the carb and check the screen under the fuel pump diaphragm, you could have gunk coming in from your fuel lines that would have affected both carbs

just curious, where would there be a reed on this engine? it looks like it uses cylinder porting and not a reed in the intake for fuel flow control.
http://downloads.hobbico.com/evpl/dle/dleg0030-0031-evpl.pdf

Last edited:

tylerzx9r

100cc
There might be a possible diaphram problem on either carb, if it is sticking, or adjusted incorrectly from dirt, it may cause similar issues. My only other option has already been mentioned, Usually it is after the carb, before the crankcase, Sounds like a reed block issue to me, You might make sure the surfaces of the block, crank, and reed block are all flat and sealing correctly. if there is air getting in, it is lean, fuel gets out, you get the jist. Make sur eit has a good seal!

i had a DLE 30 last summer fought and tweaked could not get it to run reliably,added a Bowman ring on the advice of a club member and whoa my problems were gone,cured a rough idol and tamed the factory carb from crappy runs to wow i can not believe that a ring was all she needed,

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
really makes you wonder what kind of crap they're installing if they can't make a decent ring to go with the rest of the engine.

I have installed Bowman rings on all 3 of my gas engines, Frank uses Top quality materials for his rings and makes them with a tighter fit. End result is better compression and a better running engine.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
be sure to check your reeds and make they are sealing properly
viewer_1135.JPG viewer_1139.JPG
Here are a couple of bad pictures of my reeds.
They don't appear to be chipped or cracked.
They do not hold water though.
Should they?
I'll true up the reed block while waiting for new parts.

Oh and check fuel lines as well, and the clunk line too. (Stiffness?)
I haven't replaced the fuel lines yet.
They appear to be functioning as they should, and are not stiff.
I will investigate further.
If the fuel line is blocked, why is it so rich on the low end then :eek:

are you sure the rings that are in there aren't stuck in their grooves from lack of use
No, I am not sure of that yet.
I have new gaskets and a Bowman on the way.
I'll try to true up the reed block while waiting for the new parts.
I did not replace all of the gaskets during the first carb swap, just the block to carb gasket since that's all that
I disturbed. When I true up the block I'll replace them all this time since I have enough new gaskets to do that.
Is there a sealer that I could/should put on the reed block when I'm done?

if there is air getting in, it is lean, fuel gets out, you get the jist. Make sur eit has a good seal!
I kind of agree about being lean on the top end since I can't adjust the hi needle out far enough to make the engine
rich enough to stay running for more than around 3 seconds at WOT, but it stumps me as to why the low end is the opposite?
I can't turn that needle in far enough to get rid of the four stroking at the bottom :confused:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looking at the first picture I would think you found your issue. It is not seating properly. I take it you know how to sand the reed carrier. Go ahead and de carbon the engine while your at it since a bowman ring is on its way. Looks like you are well on your way to a happy engine and a happy owner.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
What do you see in the first picture?
Should the reeds hold water as a measure of whether or not they are sealing properly?

Frank is out of 30 rings right now, so I'm going to true the block and run it just
to see what happens.

Thanks
Bob