• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

i did an outline of the cut out. i am still waiting for the shears.
IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6309.JPG

servo box was measured from the plans.  once i determined location, i then proceeded to use the template and the router tip on the dremel.  then i used a hot knife to remove the foam.
IMG_6310.JPG

IMG_6311.JPG

IMG_6312.JPG

IMG_6313.JPG

getting ready to mark the hinges.  i will be using the RObart X-large pinned hinges.  (I had received 100 pack, but now i cannot find anywhere, don't you just hate when that happens!!, my wife and i have been looking for the past 3 hours everywhere, cannot find them ;(
IMG_6314.JPG

IMG_6315.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_6317.JPG

now for the hard point!! i will be doing something different than the plans.  Instead of the round hard point, i will use plywood blocks glued together for the thickness of the elevator.  i will also be using the large aeroworks control horns.  i like these, very strong.  also, the rectangular hard-point will have a wider surface area to glue onto the LE.

On the new to me Dalton that i purchased (granted it was built 2006), i can see movement between the hard point and the surface.  i would like to make this more solid.
IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6329.JPG

i made a tunnel for the servo wire (root to box) using the copper tube that i sharpened the tip and heated it up with my heat blower.  worked out pretty well.  when i tried to pass the servo wire thru, it tends to want to hang up on the foam.... so i thought, and i glued in these black paper tubes from F3A (servo extension tubes).  used poly-u glue, and now it is pretty stout.
IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

IMG_6336.JPG

My wife helped me to drill the holes for the point hinges.

IMG_6342.JPG

well, now the elevators are ready to be planed, sanded, beveled, then covered and put aside!!

still have to find those pesky hinges!!! or, will have to order a new set!! ;(

BalsaDust

Looking good bud. Keep it up. Watching builds like this and the stuff Terryscustom comes up with really make me want to build something bigger than 30%. One day I will be able to afford it but right now it's just not in the cards.