• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA #1 Customer Service

Nope, that is high idle and not the 3 clicks I usually have for low idle for landing. 2 5000 pulse lipos into a JR power buss receiver with deans. Ignition is totally separate system using a 2600 mah Fromeco li-ion on a power box ignition kill. No velocity stack at all. Nothing attached to the carb other than the throttle linkage. No prop strikes at all with this engine.

jamesrxx951;19803 wrote: Nope, that is high idle and not the 3 clicks I usually have for low idle for landing. 2 5000 pulse lipos into a JR power buss receiver with deans. Ignition is totally separate system using a 2600 mah Fromeco li-ion on a power box ignition kill. No velocity stack at all. Nothing attached to the carb other than the throttle linkage. No prop strikes at all with this engine.

i used to run power box spark-swtiches on my birds, and seemed to have a problem, the other forum had a dedicated thread on the topic. i switched over to the Tech Aero IBEC, and no problems since.

the ailerons moving like that is a servo problem, or a radio problem. when they vibrate with the airframe, it is one thing, but when they are actually deflecting like that, looks like they are having a hard time finding center. which servos are those?

orthobird;19804 wrote: i used to run power box spark-swtiches on my birds, and seemed to have a problem, the other forum had a dedicated thread on the topic. i switched over to the Tech Aero IBEC, and no problems since.

the ailerons moving like that is a servo problem, or a radio problem. when they vibrate with the airframe, it is one thing, but when they are actually deflecting like that, looks like they are having a hard time finding center. which servos are those?

Highly unlikely a servo or radio issue. The servos are JR 8911's on HV. The frame rate of the camera is not fast enough for the vibration to be picked up but the aileron tips vibration faster than the Hitec 7950 servo jidder videos that most have seen. However I am certain the servos are working OT trying to keep center however I never looked at the servo arm to determine how much they move. But the wing movement up and down seen in the video would not be caused by servo's. However these servo's were on a different airframe for a few years with a 150 on it and never moved like this until I replaced it with the 170.

I am totally open to suggestions as I am out of them at this point.

One thing to remember is that it is vibrating enough to where it is wearing out the holes in my cowl and red Loctite is needed to keep the bolts in. The holes are almost large enough now where I need to replace it because the washers are not large enough and im not putting bigger washers than the washers that have rubber glued to them that i bought a Lowes.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have a 170 in my 42% Extra with stock mufflers, and I have no problem.

This engine is probably at its best on tuned pipes.

James, i was thinking about your problem, i wonder if you should take a look at your motor box, with a friend, remove the cowl and canopy, and have someone stabilize the fuselage, while you grab the engine spinner or prop or prop hub, and then apply a stress up, then down, then to the side, etc.., very slowly, apply a stress and see if there is any movement between the firewall and the motor box, and then while you apply the stress again, look in other places, between the motor box and the fuselage, etc...

you will be amazed, i did this with my friend on one of his airplanes, and sure enough, between the motor box and the formers, there was movement. this was remedied by obtaining tristock and aeropoxy, and placing these in any area of movement/play.

orthobird;19989 wrote: james, i was thinking about your problem, i wonder if you should take a look at your motor box, with a friend, remove the cowl and canopy, and have someone stabilize the fuselage, while you grab the engine spinner or prop or prop hub, and then apply a stress up, then down, then to the side, etc.., very slowly, apply a stress and see if there is any movement between the firewall and the motor box, and then while you apply the stress again, look in other places, between the motor box and the fuselage, etc...

You will be amazed, i did this with my friend on one of his airplanes, and sure enough, between the motor box and the formers, there was movement. This was remedied by obtaining tristock and aeropoxy, and placing these in any area of movement/play.

will do!