• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DA #1 Customer Service

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
mndless;19590 wrote: DA, like any business, has to charge for service. no business, including DA, can make a habit of addressing our needed repairs at no cost. However, on those occasions when they go far and above - which is surprisingly often, it is certainly nice to hear those stories !

10-4

3D-Joy

50cc
So we customers need to pay for the warranty thats supposed to be honored by the company. Or did I misunderstand something here?

Again, I did not send crashed engines, I sent 2 engines with problems that were not user induced within warranty period. How should I feel when it comes back and I pay for the repairs?

Would I buy another DA tomorrow? Yes probably because I really think they are better than most of its competition. Repairs and parts are readily available, pay for them or not.

I know I am now the bad guy but so be it.

I also know what happened exactly and 4 years after this incident, I still fly my 2 engines the same exact way with the same exact setup and they both still run good. This simply proves me again I am not doing too much harm to these engines and they really had manuf issues on them.

Ant

50cc
^^^ Did you ask DA why they charged you and did not warranty the engines? What's the story?

mndless

Don't know a thing..
3D Joy... sorry man, did not intend my comment directed at anyone... nothing more than a positive comment about DA. Don't read into it any more than that.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
And I would never call you the bad guy. Please don't misunderstand. All I'm saying is DA has always been more than fair to me. They've warrantied things I didn't even know were under any kind of warranty, and never charged any labor, only parts cost.

They're always pleasant,answer the phone when I call and as you've pointed out, manufacture a pretty good product as well. I'm sorry you aren't pleased with their past performance, and do hope you're able to remedy the problem.

Tseres

150cc
I was taken care of last summer on a 60 and a 120. Asked me a few questions and fixed both at no charge. I now feel like I got my DAs at half price. I have no idea where you can get a better deal then that.

I have pretty much always had good results from DA. On several occasions I only had to pay for shipping there and had fast turn around. I did have a crash damaged 120 and I fully expected to pay for that and I did. The only bad experience to me involves my 170. I kept having RF related issues with the ignition and kept shutting my ignition kill off. It would turn off in a way that I could never duplicate by any other measure than a possible RF issue. I even swapped components and spent a lot of time narrowing it down to the ignition. However when I sent in the engine they said nothing was wrong. But since I knew what was going on I just paid for a new ignition and never an issue since. The 170 is the DA only engine I really don't like and plan on getting rid of it soon. It has caused several vibration related issues to my air frame. So I may look at another 170 class engine (even though I really try to support this company because they heavily support this hobby) but might just go back to the DA150L. Im up in the air on that right now because next year I may be building my 3rd new home and may not fly at all. But I plan on putting the 170 up for sale in the next few weeks.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
jamesrxx951;19703 wrote: I have pretty much always had good results from DA. On several occasions I only had to pay for shipping there and had fast turn around. I did have a crash damaged 120 and I fully expected to pay for that and I did. The only bad experience to me involves my 170. I kept having RF related issues with the ignition and kept shutting my ignition kill off. It would turn off in a way that I could never duplicate by any other measure than a possible RF issue. I even swapped components and spent a lot of time narrowing it down to the ignition. However when I sent in the engine they said nothing was wrong. But since I knew what was going on I just paid for a new ignition and never an issue since. The 170 is the DA only engine I really don't like and plan on getting rid of it soon. It has caused several vibration related issues to my air frame. So I may look at another 170 class engine (even though I really try to support this company because they heavily support this hobby) but might just go back to the DA150L. Im up in the air on that right now because next year I may be building my 3rd new home and may not fly at all. But I plan on putting the 170 up for sale in the next few weeks.

Ack... that 170 comment is concerning as I'm getting ready to order one... what airframe did you have it in and any additional details on the issues???

I have the H9 40% Sukhoi. All cowl mounts broke free from the structure. The cowl is getting worn down in the bolt holes. To help it I used felt on the wood and red Loctite on the screws (blue would not keep them tight). I even bought rubber washers to help grip the cowl tighter to the airframe. Right ailerons shake viciously at idle, and canopy where it slides under the cowl is wearing badly. I need to apply some felt tape on that to help it. I ordered a new cowling but I am not installing it yet. It is a real bummer because this engine has been very reliable (except ignition no biggie though) over the years. I bought $100 worth of ethanol free gasoline to see if that helped with no avail. I have a Falcon 31/12 and 30/13 prop, Mej 31/12,30/13, and 29/12n three blade prop all to see if any of those made a different with no avail. Low end has been leaned out to where it must idle for 30-45 seconds before it would transition with no help. All updates have been done.

Now my 100L and 150 were great engines. My 120 is not as smooth as the 100 but still pretty smooth, and a monster power house on RE2's. That engine is nothing short of a beast.

billpilotca

New to GSN!
I have always had good service from DA. At various times I have had to send in a DA50, two DA100's, and a DA170. Often have only had to pay shipping. Often engines came back with many new parts and no charge other than shipping. But if it was crash damage I paid the invoice and fully expected to. That being said charges were always more than fair and turnaround was always very good.

James - I did have the 170 in my H9 Sukhoi on RE3's. Finally removed it after it shook the firewall loose. Replaced it with a well used 150 and it flies the Sukhoi just fine.