• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Covering???

Dennis, there is an easier way! I will share it with eaveryone in a dedicated thread just about Ultracote soon. Unfortunately one of my "foolproof" ingrediants is no longer available thanks to the EPA.

I have been working on alternate solutions and have one that my tests work but I will wait untill I have a thread with complete pictures to post.

Still refining stuff but if you want to know a solution, without photos just send me a PM and ask.

OK Daytonarc, I'll wait for the thread and the pictures.

Jlc

70cc twin V2
I'm recovering some of my yak but I wasn't the original builder how do I tell if the original covering is ultracote or monocote?

Husker

50cc
I'm recovering some of my yak but I wasn't the original builder how do I tell if the original covering is ultracote or monocote?

If you have a piece of both you can compare to what is on your plane. Monokote is usually shinier and ultracote has a bit of a dull appearance in comparison. It is pretty easy to see the difference if they are side by side.

Reactions: Jlc

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
it might have been said already but sanding the underlying surface to a very smooth finish is important as is removing every last bit of dust. sometimes the wrinkles show up because the covering has lost its grip on the wood underneath. if the surface of the wood lifted and is stuck to the covering then no amount of ironing will get it stuck again. i've never tried any of the surface prep products prior to putting down an iron-on covering, maybe someone else had and can discuss if it helps? something to seal and keep the underlying wood from lifting so the covering can stay in place? the sun always wins though, leave an airplane out long enough and the covering job will go to hell.