• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Covering???

thurmma

150cc
If it helps, patience is the key. Whether it be Mono or Ultra. I have found that I like the Ultracote much better. It just seems to be more user friendly. IMO. If putting down layers, Heat is also very key. First layer sealed down with good steady heat. Second layer, slow, cooler heat until it is "COMPLETELY" in place and adhered. Typically I have found I don't have to go back and re-shrink. If I do, very low heat on the top layer. No gas bubbles under the layers. Open structure as we all know is easy. Sheeted construction can be a PITA.View attachment 3286 View attachment 3285 View attachment 3284 View attachment 3283 View attachment 3282 View attachment 3281 View attachment 3280

From my complete strip down and recover of my 260.

Nice work @stangflyer

tylerzx9r

100cc
Ok, took a few tricks and hints you all have given, and covered the bottom of some wings for a project I am working on. I will post some photo's later today..... A question on the trim, how do you keep things from getting bubbles or gasses trapped when doing small pcs.? I have heard of the glass cleaner trick, but nobody has really explained it. Do you actually spray the part, lay your piece on, squeegee, then Iron them on? Does this trap moisture? :confused??:

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Ok, took a few tricks and hints you all have given, and covered the bottom of some wings for a project I am working on. I will post some photo's later today..... A question on the trim, how do you keep things from getting bubbles or gasses trapped when doing small pcs.? I have heard of the glass cleaner trick, but nobody has really explained it. Do you actually spray the part, lay your piece on, squeegee, then Iron them on? Does this trap moisture? :confused??:

Are you using Ultracote or Monokote?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Tyler; What I do to lay down trim and small pieces is I turn the heat way down on my iron. (Remember to use a sock) You will want it warm enough to the touch that it does not burn you or overly "HOT" feeling. But still warm enough to transfer the heat to the covering. Lay your trim into place and start at one end with the other slightly raised. Or you can if you wish, tape the other end into position, but keep an eye on the placement as you proceed. You will know where the piece lays into position so keeping the one end up just ever so slightly will not hinder you from laying it down in the correct location or orientation to the rest of your scheme. Basically "tack" the one end down then just start moving in the "ending" direction until you reach that point and you will have no bubbles released from the gasses created from the heat. Remember, excessive heat in the covering is what causes the gasses from the adhesive. Once your trim piece is down good, go back over it with your iron one more time and wa-laa... Done deal.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Hey there Daytonarc,

If there's an easier way, why not share it with everybody?

Dennis, there is an easier way! I will share it with eaveryone in a dedicated thread just about Ultracote soon. Unfortunately one of my "foolproof" ingrediants is no longer available thanks to the EPA.

I have been working on alternate solutions and have one that my tests work but I will wait untill I have a thread with complete pictures to post.

Still refining stuff but if you want to know a solution, without photos just send me a PM and ask.

Last edited: