• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cost comparison, budget 60cc versus top shelf 30cc

Which would you choose?

• High End 30cc

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Budget 60cc

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
The largest airframe I've flown to date has been my 30cc 3DHS 74" Edge. Prior to that has been a 48" 3DHS Edge 540 and my VisionAire. Knowing what I know now after flying the 74" Edge and if you have the means to transport a 60cc size plane to the airfield without needing a trailer, I would go with a budget 60cc. If you can fly a 48"-60" wingspan size plane and you have a vehicle that you can transport a 60cc size plane, skip the 30cc and go right to a 60cc. Everyone I've talked to and asked for advice has always said, "bigger is better and if you have a way to transport a 60cc size plane to the field, go 60cc". With the price point between a high end 30cc and a budget 60cc being so close, the only two factors I see that could discourage someone from getting the a 60cc size is transportation and the intimidation factor of the size of a 60cc size plane. I wish I would have listened to this advice because after the first time I flew my 74" Edge I said to myself, "Wow, that was easy". Go budget 60cc and don't look back. As soon as you fly a high end 30cc you'll be wanting a 60cc size plane which you could have around the same price point Enterprise listed on the first page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
As soon as I can I plan on going with a Top Shelf 30cc. I already purchased a VVRC40 as I love the smoothness of this motor and "its a twin cylinder". Something about looking into the cowl inlets and actually seeing a cylinder in each like the real plane. My plane will be the moment they go on sale, the Extreme Flight 78" MXS. I have had three EF planes and every one was on the top of my charts in every aspect and Chris and team are amazing. I plan on using HS 7955TG's all around. Depending on the funds I also might be going with a two into one header and single canister.

The 78" planes are tweeners as they require basically the same servos as a 50cc, and the motor options are similar in cost to the 60cc budget build as that planes needs the VVRC 40 or a piped 35cc. These are a great compromise if you have transport issues for the 60cc. Also shipping cost on the 78 Extra is pretty high, over $100 and I live on the same side of the country.

2 into 1 headers are IMHO a myth at the moment. I have not seen a successful one posted yet for either the VVRC or the DA-70/DLE-60/PTE-72 class motors.

I am hoping that as the season gets going and I have setup the nice 30cc and the budget 60cc, to have some flying buddies fly them back to back to get an opinion on which is "better" Since they will both be setup with me, on my radio, with my rates and expo settings, that I will have negated some of the variables. If I go back into my memory with my 88" EG Raven, and my 74" 3DHS Edge, I know I liked the Edge better, but they were in different periods of my setup experience and that is probably tainted by that.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
2 into 1 headers are IMHO a myth at the moment. I have not seen a successful one posted yet for either the VVRC or the DA-70/DLE-60/PTE-72 class motors.

This is true. If it weren't we would have seen them on 100's/150's back in the day.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It

Well maybe not, I have been talking with someone you would know and trust that says testing is almost complete and results are good. I for sure will not wait on it if my plane is ready I will be using the stock as I have no noise limits at our field.

I just installed the stock exhaust on my DA-70 today. We have 2 fields that somewhat noise sensitive (one only if it is not a Cub). Neither of these do I drag my trailer to anymore so the 92 will just "live" with the 100cc planes anyways.

Once headers are available I have 2 Evolution/MVVS tuned canisters that fit inside the small tunnel of my 88 Edge. I was planning on trying these on my PTE-72 once I find headers for it. Today I trial fitted a small Pro-Flow canister in the 92 and 2 of those will definitely fit. I give it a year and we will have plenty of options for this newish class of motors.

As for the VVRC-40, I have a few things I am going to try to tame it which are much cheaper and lighter.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Great thread. I am trying to figure out what size to go myself. The question have is about servo's? Are the "budget" servo options really a viable option? I have no experience with them. They seem like a good deal from what I have read? This alone makes me lean towards a bigger airframe. Like everyone else size for transportation is a issue. 60-74 easy. Much bigger I don't know if it will fit in the envoy.

In the 50cc size you can easily make the rudder removable, and take off the spinner and probably fit. The budget friendly planes tend to be of the previous generation sizes with fuse lengths in the 82-85" area. I think the redwing slick will fit in my truck with maybe just the spinner removed. The bed is 78" long and you can always do a little diagonal.

As for the budget servos I have ordered a few to test. The solar 772s failed on the speed department. The Tactic TSX65s are backordered for quite a while, at least from Tower they are. I have in transit a HK servo that looks very promising. $43 with the buddy code, 555 oz-in, and .11 transit on 7.4V. We shall see.

I think one factor that might be overlooked is that if the budget 60 has a removable rudder. If so that cuts the 60cc size airframe down to a 74-78" size air frame with the rudder pementently attached. For example..the 60cc Pilot Edge 540 with removable rudder and elerons cuts down to 73" with the rudder removed...Bingo! Now your at the same size as a 30cc with a rudder attached. No worries about transport and now you have a 60cc size plane to boot! Even thought some 60cc size airframes that you may like do not have a removable rudder (I like the EF 88" Edge 540 but it doesn't have a removable rudder) doesn't mean you can't modified the rudder to make it removable. Robart makes some hinges that would work great. Point is if there is a will there is a way the you could make a rudder removable to make a airframe fit in your vehicle to some extent! Look here to see how and what you need to make a reovable rudder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Now that is something to think about. I use solar micro servos and they have been great. The XQ look interesting