• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cost comparison, budget 60cc versus top shelf 30cc

Which would you choose?

• High End 30cc

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Budget 60cc

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
I am currently in the gathering components stage for my spring fleet additions. Over on GiantScaleNews in the DA-70 thread someone aptly pointed out that the cost of that engine exceeds a lot of quality 100cc engine choices. The brought me back around to some cost comparisons I have done in the past. Now I could have done this with 60cc versus 120cc, but for many the cost of these planes is too high to consider, plus the transport issues. This is just one example and I pose the question, which is better, a quality all around 30cc airframe, or a budget minded 60cc?

In my core group of flying buddies we have examples of both, specifically one person has a Goldwing/Brand X Yak 55 with a cheap HK 50cc motor and some 7954s left over from a 100cc crash plane. He took those components he had laying around and made a plane he loves for less than $500. On the other hand, another buddy has a blinged out Aeroworks Extra 260 Freestyle that costs just as much as the Yak or more.

Here is a current example of cost from new. Which would you buy?

3DHS 30cc airframe (Slick, Extra 330SC, Edge 540): $440 + $40 shipping
O.S. GT33 or VVRC 40 twin: $410
Savox 1268SG or Hitec 7955: $90x4= $360
Hitec 5565MH throttle servo: $70
SWB arms: $65 shipped

Total = $1385

Aerobeez 60cc Slick: $599 shipped
DLE-55RA: $378
Tactic TSX65: $51x6= $306 (with tower coupons)
HK arms: $40 (one extra arm)

Total = $1323
I would say there is roughly $50 more in the below items that might be additional in the 60cc. Many of these budget 60cc planes come with aluminum arm extensions that bolt to existing arms and that could be used to offset.

For me on these two planes I would use the same RX setup (powersafe) or switch arrangement.
Fuel tank difference is minimal
fuel tubing and dot are the same
spinner is very similar in cost
props are 20% or so more for the bigger plane
RX batteries would be a little more on the 60cc
IBEC is the same.

There are a lot of other choices that could be made in components, and both Redwing and Aerobeez offer package deals to get the cost down even more. Many are considering their spring fleet this time of the year. Which would you pick if you had the $1600-$1800 budget for a new plane?

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Matt, if you consider changing the "budget" engine to a DLE-55RA, I think you might get a better comparison. It seems that EME60 brings a tiny bit more risk with it, and the DLE-55RA can be had from VVRC (with a coupon they frequently advertise) for $378 with free shipping.
The performance on the two is essentially the same, with the DLE proving to be very reliable.

Changed. You can also get the new DLE-61 for around $400 at Tower, the GP-61 for $450, and the old reliable DLE-55 for $325. Used DA-50s are a excellent choice as well.

For me personally I have a very nice 30cc in a EF 78 Extra which is setup like my 30cc example, although the shipping is very high on this airframe. I also have the Redwing slick on pre-order which is very similar to the Aerobeez in my example and I will be using parts I have laying around for it so I will be able to answer my own question in the spring. It is getting my OS GT60 which has proven to date to be less powerful than most of the choices above, but it does meet sound requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Since I've got a few 30cc airframes, I would go for the "budget" 50cc airframe at this point.

I'd really love to be able to acquire the Limitless Aero 50cc Extra with the GP-61 engine.

92" Extra 330 SC: $650
GP-61 $450

Of course, they have a package deal on a 88" Yak 55 and a GP-61 for $1000.00 !

Regarding those Tactic servos...have you tried them or do you know anyone who has direct experience using them?

3dcarter

50cc
50cc planes fly better. The engines are cheaper and run better than a good 30cc plane. Definitely the budget 50

We are going to acquire one of the Tactic servos soon for testing. There are a lot of $50 servos like the XQ and Power HD servos and a few from HK that have the specs for the budget 60cc. There is also always used quality servos at this price point.

I forgot to mention that my first 50cc plane was a budget build EG Raven with a DLE-55 so I did make this choice 3 years ago. Personally at the time my 71 AJ slick flew better to me, but looking back there were a few mitigating factors. I did not have the Raven well setup with CG and throws. Transport was a huge issue and was always loosing bolts in the tail and I had to remove the stabs to get it into the truck I had at the time. After a while I got frustrated and stuck to my electric slick. I went so far as to build my 89 Slick electric with a Hacker Q80. After passing the learning curve and getting more help from people like Gary and Cody I started to do 20-30cc gassers. I then got a DA-120 H9 Extra and started to have more success with gassers.

3dcarter

50cc
The thing about 50's, as I'm sure you know, is the wing loading is much less due to the much higher wing area and the very slight weight difference. There are a few nice flying 30cc planes, but I would much rather fly a 50.

hosam

70cc twin V2
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: interesting topic... I think I am going to sit back and read the results... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Oh I did vote...

Depends on the 60cc airframe.

11.5 lbs on 1000 - 1100 squares for a 3DHS gasser

15-17 lbs on 1426 squares on the Aerobeez

21 lbs on 1650 squares on my buddies EF 91 extra with DA-60/RE2.

30lbs on 1900 squares on my EF 104 extra.

I know my big plane floatier than my 30cc stuff. The wing loading is much higher though. Reynolds number come into play. I need to dig out my aerodynamics text books from college.

SnowDog

oh boy...the mad scientist is referring back to his text books...can't wait to hear what comes next!

make sure to wear your goggles! :D