• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cold Weather Flying Tips

Being that I live where I do... the coldest weather I fly in is maybe 40 degrees F. Buuuut for us desert dwellers, that seems pretty cold.. more-so when there is some wind too. I don't like wearing gloves, so here is my secret weapon:

0fz6qtd.jpg

A case of 40 pairs is $30 shipped on Amazon. You open em up, stick them in your pockets, and they stay warm for up to 10 hours. I just keep my hands nice and warm between flights, then by the time I fly a battery they are just a bit cold again.

You can become real popular at the field by giving a few away on an especially chilly day!

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Being that I live where I do... the coldest weather I fly in is maybe 40 degrees F. Buuuut for us desert dwellers, that seems pretty cold.. more-so when there is some wind too. I don't like wearing gloves, so here is my secret weapon:

0fz6qtd.jpg

A case of 40 pairs is $30 shipped on Amazon. You open em up, stick them in your pockets, and they stay warm for up to 10 hours. I just keep my hands nice and warm between flights, then by the time I fly a battery they are just a bit cold again.

You can become real popular at the field by giving a few away on an especially chilly day!

I use these as well. Very effective! You can usually find them at target for about $1 a pair.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Got a maiden in on my 3DHS 59" Slick. I have had the airframe finished for some time now, but have been reluctant to maiden in the snow. Everything worked out fine. I took it easy on the airframe (as mentioned--cold makes things brittle). Still was able to try hovering and some knife edge spins after it was trimmed out. The dubro ".60 size skis" were a total of + or - 2oz heavier than the stock wheels and wheel pants.

I am thinking of trying the skis on my 74" Slick (weighs about 10lbs.) Dubro seems to manufacture things designed for more old school applications. Thinking about a .60 size sport plane, I believe that these .60 sized skis could handle up to 10lbs. What do you all think?

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I fly my planes down to -15F... I agree things get brittle at this temp and I do take it a little easier (not much). My EF and 3DHS planes have held up to the abuse with no added issues for 1000s of flights. Most around 10-20F in the winter.
I cut my dubro skis down and take a little over a ounce (37g) off the overall weight. The uncut fullsize should handle a 70" class bird without issue IMO. They need to make a light durable ski though... We have the technology.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
The uncut fullsize should handle a 70" class bird without issue IMO. They need to make a light durable ski though... We have the technology.

I am with you on this, it would be nice to have some light weight skis for each size class. I don't think there are enough of us needing skis to turn a profit for a big business. Maybe someone could find themselves making some like Reacher10 on the transmitt bags.

IMO winter air is typically nice and stable as compared with summer and around central MN there are lots of big lakes that accommodate RC planes well. All in all I am hoping that winter doesn't last into May this year in my neck of the woods, as there is nothing better than flying in a t-shirt...especially one that says 3DRCFOURMS.COM!

Last edited by a moderator:

willfly2

30cc
All in all I am hoping that winter doesn't last into May this year in my neck of the woods, as there is nothing better than flying in a t-shirt...especially one that says 3DRCFOURMS.COM!

You are not sucking up a little are you ? Ha Ha !!