• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cold Weather Flying Tips

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I use either white cottons or yellow industrial gloves with the fingers cut off... Found at the local hardware store for like $0.99 :)

willfly2

30cc
Thank you for all the tip's guy's. I received the transmit for christmas and bought some ski's for my yak. Guess I'm going to find a plastic spoon. Weather here is to be sub-zero for the next week so building time for me.

Thank you for all the tip's guy's. I received the transmit for christmas and bought some ski's for my yak. Guess I'm going to find a plastic spoon. Weather here is to be sub-zero for the next week so building time for me.

I think you can safely skip the spoon, the rudder steers awesome without it. I've run 3 planes with skis and just the normal tailwheel, and actually the rudder in the prop wash is what I think is guiding it. No damage after tons of flights.

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I think you can safely skip the spoon, the rudder steers awesome without it. I've run 3 planes with skis and just the normal tailwheel, and actually the rudder in the prop wash is what I think is guiding it. No damage after tons of flights.

Totally Agree

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
Here are some cold weather pictures for you guys :)

2013-01-06_14-58-03_704.jpgIMG_20120122_121659.jpg

How much are these skids?

I'm using the Dubro's on a 51 Slick and some HK ones on a 72 Extra gasser. The HK ones look a little short but they work great! The Dubros were kinda expensive $24.99 per pair. The HKing ones were something like $7 bucks.

The trick I've found is do not tip them up too high, or it will lift the plane, and you'll have to trim down. Just up a bit, 15 to 20 degrees, and you maybe trim one click. Doesn't affect the handling too bad at all. Makes it fun to land in any direction on the snow - and it's so soft...

Best thing I did was to buy some extra axles, then you just swap them out entirely instead of playing with the springs all the time. :cool:

dskuro95

100cc
Thanks tacdriver I think i will buy the HK ones.

I'm using the Dubro's on a 51 Slick and some HK ones on a 72 Extra gasser. The HK ones look a little short but they work great! The Dubros were kinda expensive $24.99 per pair. The HKing ones were something like $7 bucks.

The trick I've found is do not tip them up too high, or it will lift the plane, and you'll have to trim down. Just up a bit, 15 to 20 degrees, and you maybe trim one click. Doesn't affect the handling too bad at all. Makes it fun to land in any direction on the snow - and it's so soft...

Best thing I did was to buy some extra axles, then you just swap them out entirely instead of playing with the springs all the time. :cool: