• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Carden Pro 124 Build, My Dream Plane

Alky6

150cc
I used rivets, another way would be to tap the hole with a 1/4 20 or 1/4 28 and after put some shrink tubing on the threads to keep from marking the balsa. If you make something post it here.
It has been a while but... here is what I did for a drill jig for the robart hinges. I got lazy and took some 1/4" aluminum bar stock and stuck them in the mill. Just had to line up the centerline of the holes and I indexed one end of the bar to ensure my holes started in the correct place for alignment of the edges of the control surfaces. I also didn't have to worry about sanding in the LE and TE to ensure I was on center. Turned out very well, but they are one off's.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Alky6

150cc
What a great idea. I will have to remember this one.
Thanks. You inspired me! Your build looks amazing. As you can see I am getting closer to covering. I am very eager to hear of your covering techniques. I am changing to monokote (vs. ultracote) due to cost and availability of paint matching. Regardless, still very wet-behind-the-ears when it comes to covering. Apreciate any details you can afford and have time to describe!

BalsaDust

Thanks. You inspired me! Your build looks amazing. As you can see I am getting closer to covering. I am very eager to hear of your covering techniques. I am changing to monokote (vs. ultracote) due to cost and availability of paint matching. Regardless, still very wet-behind-the-ears when it comes to covering. Apreciate any details you can afford and have time to describe!

Monocote sucks. I have been using the cheap hobby king stuff with great results but if I had to buy name brand ultracote would win every time.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I don't want my Pro to look cheap. I have covered may planes with monokote and always had great results. I covered this plane over 8 years ago, still looks like it was done last week.
I don't use Monocote but from what I've heard from folks who do use it, it has changed over the last few years.

Alky6

150cc
I am soon to find out. @IMAC FANATIC and Dave Dixon both recently used monokote on their 40% planes (one's a JTEC and the other a Carden Pro) and both turned out beautiful and have continued to over the last year. I have mostly used ultracote, but going to give monokote a try on my 35% JTEC. I think it should be fine, just might require an adjustment in the learning curve. Jury is still out. Looking forward to your tips and tricks Primo.